Restoring My 1880 Weber Grand Piano, and The Sweet Smell Of Brazilian Rosewood.

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Since my last update, I've acquired the proper music rack, finished the lid and case parts in lacquer, stripped the body and refinished in Tru Oil (wonderfull stuff, btw) installed a beautiful set of recycled ivories. next task is to refinish the legs and lyre. Restringing is in the Spring.

GearHo

Reaction score
Outstanding work from my forum brother from another rossington lover.

Steve has a great pic of an older flame maple table, that inspired me to get a table top made for me from a woodworker in northern Maine. I asked for flame
Maple wood that would remind me of every great top I have ever seen in guitars.

I still have my Rossington Steve, I hope you still have that table.

Great job on this, it looks outstanding.

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
I have no words for how beautiful that is or how much work the restoration is. Wow.

Olds442

Reaction score
man i wish i had the space for a nice baby grand.

excellent work!

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous, but you need to get chunks of real rosewood for the floor protectors. Laminate cheapens the look. :)

FANTASTIC looking piano and refinish job.

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Outstanding work from my forum brother from another rossington lover.

Steve has a great pic of an older flame maple table, that inspired me to get a table top made for me from a woodworker in northern Maine. I asked for flame
Maple wood that would remind me of every great top I have ever seen in guitars.

I still have my Rossington Steve, I hope you still have that table.

Great job on this, it looks outstanding.
lefty rossington2.jpg

I think this is the table? I still have the table, but sadly not the Rossington.

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
I wish I could remember where I heard about Tru Oil, but it's an amazing product! It's marketed as a finish for gun stocks, and has the ability to build up with every coat as lacquer does. You wipe it on with a cloth, build up a few coats, then wet sand the bumps and keep coating until you're happy. The sheen is similar to French Polish. The sides have just a couple of coats, but already look great, though the sunlight is making the wood look lighter in color than it actually is.
weber side.jpg

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
And as long as we're talking Brazilian Rosewood, there is a local luthier, whom I've known for 35+ years, who makes some of the most amazing acoustic guitars you'll ever find. This is a recent build:
lehmann-master-model-2000-brazilian-rosewood-sitka-495-4.jpg

There are NO back braces in this guitar, and the segments are heated and bent into this "U" shape. No doubt he was inspired by lute and Italian mandolin construction.

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
Just re-visiting this old thread. A lot has happened since my last update. My Dad, my step-mother, step-brother and his wife have all died. My wife and I, along with my nephew are moving forward with our piano servicing buisness. My project has been on the back burner, but gearing up to do some work on it. I love sitting down to this view:
weber 3.jpg

Attachments

Latest Threads