Resonator setting for my Tele in Open G (slide)

5F6-A

Reaction score
I wanted to a add a different sound to my battered Tele in Open G. I thought of coming up with my own version of the Arlo West cocked wah circuit.
Basically, in position 2 (of 4) I get the bridge pickup with two capacitors and a resistor to cut out both low end and high end and create a passive spike in the high mids that is reminiscent of the tone of the old resonator guitars. Not sure it sounds like a resonator but the result is very cool.

I wanted to figure out if my calculations were right and I analysed the tone of the bridge pickup stock vs the bridge pickup and the circuit (see diagram)

diagram.JPG

combo.JPG

As you can see I used an old Allen Bradley resistor and RMC and Sprague caps.

These are the results summarised in a handy table.

reson.JPG

The mid hump happens from the 700 Hz mark up to to the 3K mark. It cleans up the bass and restricts anything about 6K, which is cool with distortion. Overall, I'm very happy with the result. It does not affect the regular 3 Tele sounds and add a sound that is pretty unique. Please share your thoughts, especially if you have had the chance of experimenting with this circuit. Cheers!!!

5F6-A

Reaction score
Not my video but you get the idea of the tone. My guitar has a neck pickup too so it's even cooler.

Latest Threads