resistance of santana pickups (if anyone wants to know)

yautja

Reaction score
hello folks.
i just got a set of prs santana zebra coil pickups for my LP custom and measured them today.

the bass pickup is 7.37 k ohms and the treble pickup is 9.86 k ohms.

i have played a prs santana signature series with these types of pickups and it was unreal, sustained forever, beautiful tone, nice feedback etc.
after playing it for a while i said if i cant afford the guitar i would at least buy the pickups and they are finally here, im a happy boy !

i just wanted to ask, is there anything i need to do to fit these in ?
like can i just solder them in or do i have to modify the guitars electrics at all ? (like change caps or pots or something)
they are single wire pickups, just the hot wire with the sheild around them, like the gibson pickups.

thanks.

Big Mike

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
INteresting.....Since they were Paul's take on a 59/Custom, I'm surprised the low reading.

Should just solder in like the gibby pups.

yautja

Reaction score
yea i was hoping for a higher reading.
so what do you mean about the 59/custom ? was this paul reed smiths version of the 59 pickup ?
i thought these pickups were specially made to carlos' specification.

yautja

Reaction score
just got an email back from prs.
they said the treble pickup has a ceramic magnet and the bass pickup has a alnico.
what does this mean ?
which are better, ceramic or alnico ?
also why would they be different, why not use one or the other ?
what magnets are used in the standard pickup of a 79 lp custom ?

Big Mike

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There is no 'better' just different.

Magnets accentuate different tonal characteristics.

The first guitar PRS made for Santana had a Seymour Duncan 59 neck (alnico) and Custom Bridge (ceramic). But the bridge pup broke somewhere, and Carlos liked the tone. So I'm sure that was the starting point, and they're tweaked for Carlos.

Carlos own guitars now use the Santana Zebra neck (covered) and a dragon 2 bridge with vintage hookup wire.

yautja

Reaction score
thanks for explaining that big mike, now i have more of an idea about the pickups and what they are.
so carlos runs a dragon II for the bridge now,any idea why ? maybe he likes the tone better i guess.
thanks again big mike, much appreciated.

Big Mike

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
He just likes them. It's a hair different than the normal D2, but not by much. It's got a real nasal mid honk that I think really works for what carlos needs to hear in his rig. Plus he's now using rosewood neck guitars, so it's a different ballgame. Tone is way different than a mahogany neck.

I like the D2 in the right guitar.

yautja

Reaction score
cool, i guess the tone i will get in my guitar will be different also as it has a maple neck.
cant wait to fit them in, should sound good.
thanks again.

yautja

Reaction score
another couple of questions if its ok.
these pickups have a single wire (hot wire) with a metal sheath around the wire (the ground).
does it matter if the metal sheaths from each pickup touch each other as they go through the guitar ?
or do i have to insulate them from one another ?

also, seeing as im putting different pickups in do i have to change the capacitors or anything like that ?

thanks.

Nugget

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nothing to worry about there. It makes no difference if the grounds touch and you will not need to change the caps.

VmLesPaul

Reaction score
This thread rules!!, im crazy to change my pickups, i have a Epiphone Les Paul, 96 model, i want to fit the Alnico Pro II or the PRS santana signature, but dont know the difference between the santana zebra and the covered ones, and i just wondering if there is someone with the same idea.

Latest Threads