Requesting Bridge Guidance

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Hey gang,

I have an opportunity to cop a late 60s 335 that needs its parts back.

One thing that made me pause - it had a stop tail and Nashville bridge installed. It’s not a museum piece but I’ll probably spend for a good refin in the future.

Do any of you guys have experience with this? I’m looking for guidance whether I should dowel/retrofit an abr1 or grab something that looks the part that will fit on the Nashville posts. I have no experience with this and would prefer insights from someone who has dealt with this specifically before. I love the idea of the abrbut am curious on real world experience.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm definitely not an expert but if you are getting it refinished anyway, why not have it doweled and put an ABR on it?

Otherwise there are inserts that screw into the bushings that would convert the posts for an ABR.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Let me clarify - I’d likely consider a quality refin some years down the line.

I’d be wanting to address this in one way or another before then.

Dilver

Reaction score
Faber makes posts that will fit into the nashville bushings and therefore allow you to use an abr bridge. IMO that’s the better solution. As to the refin, does it really need it? Some pics would help…

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Faber makes posts that will fit into the nashville bushings and therefore allow you to use an abr bridge. IMO that’s the better solution. As to the refin, does it really need it? Some pics would help…
I’ll grab pics tomorrow. The refin is nasty but IMHO no guitar really “needs” one. I say that as a player. All my vintage gear was bought with issues to keep it affordable.

The Fabre option is intriguing. I like that better than screwing conversion posts into the bushings. Metal to wood contact carries some psychological weight w me as a player.

Dilver

Reaction score
I’ll grab pics tomorrow. The refin is nasty but IMHO no guitar really “needs” one. I say that as a player. All my vintage gear was bought with issues to keep it affordable.

The Fabre option is intriguing. I like that better than screwing conversion posts into the bushings. Metal to wood contact carries some psychological weight w me as a player.
For clarity, the Faber parts I’m talking about ARE conversion posts that screw into the existing Nashville bushings.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
We’re on the same page. I was referring to the screw in ones Roxy mentioned. I’m fortunate enough to have a little money to throw at it, otherwise screw in conversions would be the cheapest best bet.

JMP

Reaction score
I understand that Nashville bridges are not “vintage correct “, but they certainly work well and are robust. I’d leave the Nashville as-is and play it for a while.

Roxy13

Reaction score
We’re on the same page. I was referring to the screw in ones Roxy mentioned. I’m fortunate enough to have a little money to throw at it, otherwise screw in conversions would be the cheapest best bet.
Actually I meant the same ones Dilver meant. I just wasn't sure if there others besides Faber's. I think Philly Luthier and maybe ABM sell them too.

dnabbet2

Reaction score
I understand that Nashville bridges are not “vintage correct “, but they certainly work well and are robust. I’d leave the Nashville as-is and play it for a while.
I've just finished swopping out and swopping back Nashville and Faber bridges on a couple of Les Pauls: a Robbie Krieger '54 style Custom and a Standard 80.

I really didn't notice an improvement in sound with the lightweight tailpiece and ABR-1 style bridge on the Standard 80, but I've left them on for now 'cause their shiny finish goes with a new pair of Seth Lovers I also installed. And the Robbie Krieger actually sounded BETTER with the original Gotoh Nashville style number so that's what's back on it now, never mind the vintage appearance.

Setting the intonation was a lot less trouble with the Nashvilles. No goofing around with flipping individual bridge irons, which on a Faber means removing little circlips.

zdoggie

Reaction score
i'd do the screw in pieces and in have to situation i'd opt for some thing else and possibly a bridge change

zdog

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback.

Long story short, my tech was born in 67 and made me an offer I couldn't pass up. He's going to go with the faber options you guys suggested.

Thanks again and have a good weekend!

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I use to own a 1966 ES-335 to which a previous owner had installed a Nashville bridge and posts. I pulled the bushings, plugged the holes, and installed an ABR. It was really quite easy to do.

Nashville bushings

Bushings removed

Maple dowel which I chucked in the drill press and sanded down in diameter to fit the holes. I didn't have red dye, so I simply used a red Sharpie marker to color the end.

The dowels were cut to length and glued into the holes:

6-32 holes tapped and finish touched-up

With the bridge and thumbwheels in place, the repair was completely concealed:

Last edited:

Latest Threads