Replica Les Pauls show em!!

TheCollector1

Reaction score
My 59 replica. I’ve had her for a little while and never posted but here she is in all her glory. You guys will probably guess the builder. She’s dead sexy and I love her! She’s a little less then 8.5lbs and has wizz hotlanta pick ups in her.

Attachments

Slowhand4289

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a LP Replica. Who would you all recommend that could do a great relic'd '59 replica? Budget is around 3k.

Last edited:

valvetoneman

Reaction score
I'm in the market for a LP Replica. Who would you all recommend that could do a great relic'd '59 replica? Budget is around 3k.
3k won't get you a replica if it's any good imo i know that much, the parts alone probably come to over 1k, mine does anyway and take 6 months plus, good realistic ageing takes time so be patient

Good luck anyway

Pleximan

Reaction score
There's a lot of great builders out there. After researching for years, I decided to build my own.

Last edited:

DADGAD

Reaction score
3k won't get you a replica if it's any good imo i know that much, the parts alone probably come to over 1k, mine does anyway and take 6 months plus, good realistic ageing takes time so be patient

Good luck anyway
They are out there, but it can be had if you are willing to supply parts and just have them assembled on to your husk.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
They are out there, but it can be had if you are willing to supply parts and just have them assembled on to your husk.
I won't accept other parts personally, i know what works and the results i get, replicas are not cheap to put together, anyone who builds can put a les paul together, the money is in the details, are you willing to spend $70 on a truss rod cover etc never mind m69 rings, the list is endless

Pleximan

Reaction score
I won't accept other parts personally, i know what works and the results i get, replicas are not cheap to put together, anyone who builds can put a les paul together, the money is in the details, are you willing to spend $70 on a truss rod cover etc never mind m69 rings, the list is endless
This is definitely true, building a replica is kind of a question of how far down the rabbit hole do I want to go to get it "accurate." I say get what you can afford and is of at least fairly good quality. Building encompasses so many different skills, and takes a lot of time, and practice. The wood wasn't a guitar, until it was. Letting the materials acclimate is a very important step.

Last edited:

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is definitely true, building a replica is kind of a question of how far down the rabbit hole do I want to go to get it "accurate." I say get what you can afford and is of at least fairly good quality. Building encompasses so many different skills, and takes a lot of time, and practice. The wood wasn't a guitar, until it was. Letting the materials accumulate is a very important step.
This.
Build because you want to build.
Build because you enjoy building.
Build because you want a truly one-of-a-kind that you personally crafted.
Building is not a good way to save money. Even sourcing the lumber, you have a significant investment in tools (which is amortized over a lifetime of projects), but also time. If you put a value on your time, then there is simply no way possible to build virtually anything more affordably than the mass-produced equivalent.
Buying and assembling parts can potentially save maybe 20%, depending on what you want.
My Tele partscaster uses a legit Fender MiM neck, Fender tuners and pickups, and higher-end parts, with a custom paint job.
It is nicer than a US Tele, but I also have more "invested" in the build than a US Tele.
Likewise, my current project is putting a 2019 Flying-V husk together. By the time I'm done, I'll probably be $200 over retail for a 2019 V... but it will have all gold hardware, Duncan pickups instead of Burstbuckers, Tone-Pros bridge and tailpiece... and a black pickguard.
So there's about $600 in parts on this build... but if I were to buy a 2019 from Sam Ash and "make it mine", the only parts that I would not need would be the pots.
OTOH, sticking with standard hardware, that $600 in parts probably would have been $400 or so... Pretty much a wash by the time you add a hard case.

Pete M

Reaction score
It cost me about $2k to build a replica. That's the correct wood, correct looking parts, and finishing supplies. Putting no value on the time it took me to build them. The only place I've seen replicas for sale around that price is people from the luthiers section selling on what they've built in the classifieds, or something that is not all that accurate. You're unlikely to find a decent replica for Les Paul Standard money.

Last edited:

Latest Threads