replica just as good as a real burst

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
Listen...im all about vintage specs as much as the next guy... but come on, there is no "magic"..only de-gaussed pickup magnets.

Texas07R8

Reaction score
man that's a great match you have there, probably be very difficult to find anything that close. No doubt the Custom shop didn't get that lucky.

Seems like you can move that bald spot up another inch or so, those bad spots look like they're out of the way enough to take a little more into the template.

I guess the crap shoot is whether that bald spot will look as good after getting carved.
Did you flitch match that top off the same board?

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
man that's a great match you have there, probably be very difficult to find anything that close. No doubt the Custom shop didn't get that lucky.

Seems like you can move that bald spot up another inch or so, those bad spots look like they're out of the way enough to take a little more into the template.

I guess the crap shoot is whether that bald spot will look as good after getting carved.
Did you flitch match that top off the same board?

I knew someone would point that out...yeah I would move that bald spot up but what cant be seen in the pic is small cracks coming from the knots that im trying to stay away from...otherwise I would have done it...thats whats bumming me out...and like you said...I might lose the bald spot in the carve...luckily that V part goes through the board so after I carve it should still be there.
And yes its Flitch matched...in other words..one piece was above the other...not bookmatched...I heard Billys was bookmatched but he cut into a curve which is why he got the bald spot.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
I cant see any flecks in Billy's...I have a few small ones but not noticeable...I like them anyway...more organic looking.

shtdaprdtr

Reaction score
unfortunately due to time and some financial issues at the moment, my pearly gates build will continue this fall, Just got a Fender hendrix tribute strat body I need to build a neck for and need to finish up a tele for my other guitarist in my band, so my guitar fund is a little low at the moment, but im looking for a few pieces of old dry honduran mahogany because Im gonna build 3 LP's at once. The pearly, Slash's Derrig replica replica..which I have the wood for as well, and the Joe Perry/Slash 59 tobacco replica...which my piece of wood is slightly flamier than Joe's..but either way I have 15 Les Pauls and not even one tobacco burst..so I need it for that reason too. Also looking for some good Braz...its gonna be quite a pricey build. If anyone has some light Honduran Mahogany please PM me and dont post it because I tend to get undercut all the time around here.
Thanks

Latest Threads