"Replica" Gibson Les Paul

flats750

Reaction score
I received a pic of a Chibson today that looked like a AAA+ quilted top standard. Had to study it for a few minutes before realising it was a fake. Apparently the Chinese are now fitting Gibson style thumbwheel bridges, doing fret binding, fitting one piece necks, gibson style truss rods and thick maple caps.
Will be soon harder than ever to detect them online.

I'll roll into a fit of hysterical laughter when i see them copying the Gibson Hologram and min-etune box.

Looks nicer than the 2015s!!! Lol

zippo

Reaction score
Look at the spacing and positioning of the tuning machines on the back of the headstock...

$_86.JPG

Even Gibson wouldn't install them that crooked and unevenly......would they?

No never. below a pic of the output jack of A 2013 traditional a fellow MLP bought recently. Crooked much?

photo3_zps9845e85d.jpg~original

JM2112

Reaction score
Calling this guitar a replica is not accurate, it's a counterfeit guitar. Since it has Gibson's trademark name and logo it is illegal unless they got Gibson's permission to do so.

ARandall

Reaction score
No-one but Gibson gets permission to put that logo on.......but a replica can be differentiated from a fake or counterfeit by intent. The latter 2 are cheaper items trying to pass themselves off as legitimate. The replica will often be more costly that a real LP, but perhaps more accurate to vintage than what Gibson does now.

Custom53

Reaction score
There is no doubt about it, it is a FAKE...! And by having the Gibson logo it should be illegal to boot..! It is a true counterfeit guitar, just as much as any other fake ripoffs..

brianbzed

Reaction score
LOL!!! A true "replica" is a very scarce item and expensive....(ala a Derrig and others). Calling it "counterfeit" is a nicer way of saying FAKE!!!:lol::applause::dude:

inty

Reaction score
Someones changed out the hardware on that for sure, can see where the strings used to be in a wrap around configuration. nut looks like it's been changed or something too, plastics look dodgy.

As the not so proud owner of a fake epi, they don't all play so bad, or at least mine plays very well, not quite as good as my gibson but it's pretty good. (I got ripped off back in 2007 before I knew fakes existed) So I can't morally sell it. Point is don't assume they are all junk to play.

Latest Threads