Replacing Waffleback Tuners

AtlLP

Reaction score
Recently got my first Les Paul and want to replace my tuners with locking tuners. The guitar came with kluson waffleback tuners and the screwholes don’t line up with some gotoh SD90 I purchased. Any ideas of alternatives I can purchase?

I looked at the kluson revolution but can’t find schematics online.

framos

Reaction score
Good question. I'm afraid Kluson Revolutions would require a 10mm hole, even if the screws align.

According to stewmac, the screw spacing on the Kluson Waffebacks is 1.087" as opposed to 0.936" of SD90's (and most other compatible tuners...). I'm unaware of other "vintage" models with a 1.087" spacing.

Last edited:

AtlLP

Reaction score
what type of LP?
It’s a ‘68 Re-issue Black Custom. I’ve always loved the look of this guitar but never quite liked the ones I’ve played before (neck was too chunky). But I loved this particular one and I got it. I am used to locking tuners so would like to make this one change.

AtlLP

Reaction score
Good question. I'm afraid Kluson Revolutions would require a 10mm hole, even with the screws align.

According to stewmac, the screw spacing on the Kluson Waffebacks is 1.087" as opposed to 0.936" of SD90's (and most other compatible tuners...). I'm unaware of other "vintage" models with a 1.087" spacing.
I emailed Kluson and they said there is no locking tuners with the screw spacing to match the wafflebacks. The revolution tuners do come with the vintage (8.55mm?) hole version but the screw spacing is off. I think my only option is the hipshot vintage tuner upgrade kit but not sure I want to go that route. It’s weird that no other locking tuner matches the screw spacing spec of the wafflebacks but it seems like that’s the case as far as I know.

DanD

Reaction score
I only asked what it was to see if redrilling and making new baseplate impressions would affect the value. They most certainly would on your '68.

At least with the small post Kluson Revolutions the damage would be minimal.

If you break a lot of strings then I'd do it as it is your guitar. If the mod is just for ease of restringing I'd leave well enough alone.

Just my .02

Latest Threads