Replacing Standard Tuning Pegs with Traditional?

Atomant

Reaction score
Hi I'm just thinking if replacing the tuning pegs on my standard to the traditional ones is just a bolt on affair? Any modifications needed?

tzd

Reaction score
The Grover Deluxe 135N has the same fit. But you will have to drill two additional screw holes for each tuner, and fill the existing screw hole as they do not line up exactly. Also you need to be very careful with alignment, it is too easy to mount them on crooked.

Starman

Reaction score
You may be better serving yourself and that Standard to leave the Grover tuners installed and look for another guitar that came with the vintage Kluson style tuning heads. Of significance is the fact many players in the 1960's replaced the Klusons with Grovers for better tuning stability. Whilst the Klusons do look truly vintage correct the Grovers also serve a place in the history of the Les Paul.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You may be better serving yourself and that Standard to leave the Grover tuners installed and look for another guitar that came with the vintage Kluson style tuning heads.

Damn I love this advise, just buy another guitar :thumb:

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
I personally wouldn't drill any more holes, but if you want the look, swap the tips for some hipshots

Atomant

Reaction score
Well on second thought, I should just be contented with the Standard locking tuners.

Side Burns

#==€@)
Reaction score
P14_B_1500__43958.1443815060.1280.1280.jpg

Look up hipshot tuning buttons. I put the A04 on grovers. I put a bunch of info on the "unofficial anything Agile thread" if you want details.

martin H

Reaction score
You may be better serving yourself and that Standard to leave the Grover tuners installed and look for another guitar that came with the vintage Kluson style tuning heads. Of significance is the fact many players in the 1960's replaced the Klusons with Grovers for better tuning stability. Whilst the Klusons do look truly vintage correct the Grovers also serve a place in the history of the Les Paul.

I'd endorse the idea that the Grovers might actually be the true "vintage " look. In the 70s I remember just about everyone removing the Kulsons and fitting Grovers

RustyNuts

Reaction score
I'd endorse the idea that the Grovers might actually be the true "vintage " look. In the 70s I remember just about everyone removing the Kulsons and fitting Grovers

Same here.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Just keep the damn Grovers. If it had Klusons stock, you'd want Grovers. That's how it works. Trust me. Keep the Grovers.

ecosse

Reaction score

...text not in purple, can't tell if your being sarcastic or just stupid. Sell the guitar? For tuners? THATS WHY THE AFTERMARKET EXISTS!!!! "Hmmm, I sure don't like the floor mats in this brand new car...better sell it. FYI dude, don't read about what people are doing with their tuners on their 2015 models, it'll likely give you a stroke. What's your opinion on pickups? Strings? Are you allowed to change those too if you don't like them? Jeeeesus.

Sorry for offending you all, but this is likely the dumbest thing I've read on this forum.

By the way, I prefer the Klusons over Grovers all day long. If it's just the look you're after, I've bought a set of the hip shot buttons and they're pretty nice for what they are. You can see the screw through them through, that's my only negative.

RustyNuts

Reaction score
...text not in purple, can't tell if your being sarcastic or just stupid. Sell the guitar? For tuners? THATS WHY THE AFTERMARKET EXISTS!!!! "Hmmm, I sure don't like the floor mats in this brand new car...better sell it. FYI dude, don't read about what people are doing with their tuners on their 2015 models, it'll likely give you a stroke. What's your opinion on pickups? Strings? Are you allowed to change those too if you don't like them? Jeeeesus.

Sorry for offending you all, but this is likely the dumbest thing I've read on this forum.

By the way, I prefer the Klusons over Grovers all day long. If it's just the look you're after, I've bought a set of the hip shot buttons and they're pretty nice for what they are. You can see the screw through them through, that's my only negative.

Who said anything about selling it?

ecosse

Reaction score

ecosse

Reaction score
My interpretation of that post was to get rid of it and find another. Not keep it and find another. Either way, buying ANOTHER guitar instead of changing tuners makes no sense to me, but you can never have too many guitars I suppose...

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Seriously? I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here....

Read the first line I quoted...

Like when I was considering replacing the P90s with Mini Humbuckers on one of my guitars, well instead I bought another guitar with mini Humbuckers and kept the other one with P90s. :D

Latest Threads