Replacing / Repairing a Combo Lock on a Gibson USA Les Paul Case

lawrev

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 20 year old Gibson USA TKL case (with shroud) that is fantastic in all respects except for the combination lock. The latch won't stay down when pushed into the lock.

I called my local Guitar Center but they do not do this kind of work. What suggestions do you have? Send back to Gibson to repair? Not bother repairing it? Locating a local guitar luthier or repair shop? (I am in Fort Myers, FL). I assume the latch assembly would need to be replaced.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

lawrev

Reaction score
Thanks! Purchase made. Have a NGD to post - a 2001 Custom Shop Les Paul Junior in Cardinal Red.

mjross

Reaction score
Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
Yup. I made this fix myself, and so have thousands of guys who locked their cases without recording the combo (or, in my case, buying vintage from someone who didn't have the combo, said "don't lock it!" and then... I locked it.)

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those things are so easy to pick that they're useless anyways.

Set the combo to 0000 and be done with it.

Slashperryburst

Reaction score
Those things are so easy to pick that they're useless anyways.

Set the combo to 0000 and be done with it.

Back in 2012, I left my '04 standard with a forum member who very kindly did some work on it for me.

Actually, the first time I went to his place, I left with the guitar and a list of parts to buy. I dropped the guitar off the second time and we went to get some lunch. I got a pm from him later asking for the combo, which I'd forgotten as I'd changed it recently.

Only took him a minute or so, but I felt sorry since I was already taking up so much of his time.

Latest Threads