Replacing pickups, please assist

Phillycheez402

Reaction score
So, new to soldering, but I can pretty much figure anything out. Trying to simply swap picks ups in a standard with modern wiring. Why am I having so much difficulty getting the existing pickups out? Any tips?

Thanks

Attachments

Roxy13

Reaction score
I remove the lead on the lug first. Soldering iron in one hand and needle nose pliers in the other, tugging firmly but gently as I heat the lug. Should take just a couple/three seconds. Then I do the ground on the pot the same way, using the pliers to tug firmly but gently as I heat. Again, should come off in 3-5 seconds.

Thundergod

Reaction score
If you ask me if put some EMGs on it. I'd put them on any guitar. I have them in all my current guitars and have played them for the last 15 years or more.

But you didn't ask me, thank God.

ARandall

Reaction score
If you have the typical crap 15w iron then you'll never get the back of the pot hot enough locally to remove the solder......but somewhat ironically you will get the rest of the pot plenty hot enough to completely fry the internal working parts.

Old solder can also be 'encouraged' to melt by having some fresh melted solder on the iron tip.

redking

Reaction score
If you have the typical crap 15w iron then you'll never get the back of the pot hot enough locally to remove the solder......but somewhat ironically you will get the rest of the pot plenty hot enough to completely fry the internal working parts.

Old solder can also be 'encouraged' to melt by having some fresh melted solder on the iron tip.
Yep, that was my problem the first soldering job that I tried. Then I got a basic 40 watt Weller soldering station and it went great from there other than learning the fine art of soldering the back of pots. I still struggle with that from time to time when I am out of practice.

Maggot_Brain

Reaction score
It helps more than you can imagine to have a powerful enough soldering iron. Nothing hugely expensive, but I like at least 40 watts.
As long as the tip is clean, 25 watts will work fine, also. I use my 40w iron on the 3 setting on the dial on the base of the WCL 100.

Since it can handle irons/guns up to 300w, I also use the base with my 260w/200w soldering gun. Before I got the WCL100, I used it to wire my guitar multiple times...and never once did it degauss my pickups like everybody claims they will. To do that, you'd literally have to lay the gun directly on the pickup and hold the trigger for 5 or 10 or more seconds. Using them like any other soldering iron won't affect the pickups one bit. Not even with 260w.

Latest Threads