Replacing locking grovers with gibson klusons

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
again, with all the options out there, I wouldn't drill extra holes....

but I
This quote/comment from JP isn’t really applicable to the modern sealed Klusons/Kluson type (ie, Grover makes sealed Kluson type too now). These modern sealed versions are every bit as good at holding tune as the Grovers JP is talking about.

this... with so many options out there these days, i wouldn't drill extra holes, imo, especially if all you want is the look of the keys

sk8rat

Reaction score
I replaced my locking Grovers with the Tone Pro klusons. Love it. The Grovers are great don't get me wrong, but I don't play out or need a quick string change. I just like the Kluson look on LP's. The Tone Pros have never given me a problem.
View attachment 271004 View attachment 271005
I also prefer the look of the klusons. I have wanted to do this for a while but never got a definitive answer on if they are a direct swap in terms of the size of the peg hole. Ill probably just swap the buttons though. best of both worlds.

jc2000

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snarky. What I meant was that among the truly "classic" Les Paul players, most seem to prefer Grovers.

In my own experience, the Grovers are less likely to move around, in line with what Page said.
But we all understand that the reason the classic LP players changed out the tuners to Grovers is because the Gibson tuners back then were a problem. Nowadays that's just not the case.

jc2000

Reaction score
I also prefer the look of the klusons. I have wanted to do this for a while but never got a definitive answer on if they are a direct swap in terms of the size of the peg hole. Ill probably just swap the buttons though. best of both worlds.
Tone Pros fit no problem, but like others here have said you do need to drill the extra screw hole in the back of the head. Very simple though.

Phusion974

Reaction score
I wouldn't change them out unless your having a problem with the Grovers.

Tobin1634

Reaction score
I get that you want the look of the vintage les pauls, so just do it then!

IMO, I never liked the look of those klousons and that was one of the reasons why I wanted to get a more modern standard as opposed to a traditional or a used custom..

Woodekm

Reaction score
I replace all of my tuners with kluson revolution lockers. But only if the standard tuners the guitar comes with, aren't the one screw hole type grovers. These bolt right on and maintain the vintage look with the tulip buttons. Got these on all of my Gibson except a SG that came with the one screw type grover lockers. Just never really dug the kidney shaped buttons.

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I went from those < to these > and it was the best modification I've ever made to my No. 1 LP. Not only does it stay in tune better, but the tuners are less likely to move due to incidental, light contact (such as hitting the edges of the case when it's coming in or out). Beyond those benefits, there have also been tonal improvements (I know this is debatable, but to my ears it's evident), and the weight difference has given the guitar much better overall balance and feel, especially hanging on a strap. I'll never go back.
headstocks.jpg

DaSoapBar

Reaction score
The changes look great. I went with the Kluson Pearloid Keystone so it can look more authentic from that era.

Latest Threads