Replacing locking grovers with gibson klusons

its_so_easy

Reaction score
i have a 2016 standard with the locking grovers , i prefer the look of the standard gibson tuners. i know i will have to drill an additional hole but does the 1 hole line up? also what are your thoughts on making this change? if i do decided to do the swap should i go with gibson , grover or schaller tuners all are exactly the same looking but the schallers are 16;1 where the gibson and grovers are 14;1 .
thanks

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. The Grovers will serve you better. Just look closely at pics of famous players' Bursts, and notice how many of the truly great ones are Grover'd.

jc2000

Reaction score
I replaced my locking Grovers with the Tone Pro klusons. Love it. The Grovers are great don't get me wrong, but I don't play out or need a quick string change. I just like the Kluson look on LP's. The Tone Pros have never given me a problem.
3-8-14 001.JPG 3-8-14 005.JPG

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
are you opposed to getting some of the hipshot tulip keys? you get the look and no extra holes

fry

Reaction score
Check out the Hipshot replacement buttons, they fit Grover keys also. There is a wide selection, and they are cheap and easy to install. I would never pull off a set of locking Grovers myself.

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
Don't do it. The Grovers will serve you better. Just look closely at pics of famous players' Bursts, and notice how many of the truly great ones are Grover'd.

IMG_9337.JPG
IMG_9338.JPG
IMG_9339.JPG

Does anyone own more bursts than this guy?

He uses grovers too, but klusons seem to work just fine for him.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Eric-Clapton-Portrait.jpg
page.jpg

bloomfield.jpg

peter green.jpg

kossoff2.jpg

DuaneAllman2.jpg

Yeah, I'll take my lineup over yours.

Page said it best, talking about his No. 1: "The only I did was change the tuning machines to the sealed Grovers, which I was familiar with from my Les Paul Custom. With a three-piece band like Led Zeppelin, you couldn't have slipping machine heads."

Last edited:

madmusicltd

Reaction score
Nowadays no one is going to change the original Klusions on a burst,

40yrs ago and it didn't matter...

I tried the hipshot plastic tulips on my Govers and one cracked, swapped the metal ones back.
why devalue your guitar, the Standard has upgraded tuners?

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
View attachment 271037 View attachment 271038
View attachment 271039
View attachment 271040
View attachment 271041
View attachment 271042

Yeah, I'll take my lineup over yours.

Page said it best, talking about his No. 1: "The only I did was change the tuning machines to the sealed Grovers, which I was familiar with from my Les Paul Custom. With a three-piece band like Led Zeppelin, you couldn't have slipping machine heads."

"My lineup" lol, I posted a few guys.

Most don't give a shit. Try sending that page quote to "my lineup". Lol

Dude, YOU were the one that said: "Don't do it! Just look at famous players bursts!" Jesus.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
I prefer tulips... but I won't change out locking Grovers. No way. Not even for aesthetics.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
You’ll have to drill additional holes in the headstock for the Klusons (just an FYI in case you didn’t know). And the lower hole positions for the Grovers don’t always line up well with Klusons’ lower holes (again, just something to be aware of).

That said, I too prefer the look of Klusons over Grovers... and the modern sealed Klusons are really very good tuners... much better than their 50s counterparts. And they are considerably lighter than Grovers.

Part of the thing with me is that I just don’t care for the Kidney-shaped buttons found on many Grovers. I just prefer the look (and feel) of the Keystones. A good compromise then is just to get some Keystone buttons for your Grovers. As mentioned above you can get some Hipshot plastic Keystone buttons, but if they are prone to breakage that might not be the best. Another option is to get some metal Keystones like this. I really like this look.
IfQk5MK.jpg

Last edited:

Les Paul Newb

Reaction score
IMG_9348.JPG
IMG_9349.JPG

Oh crap! This must've been prior to Bloomfield reading that quote from Page.

drylandfish

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have hipshot pearl look buttons on my locking Grovers on my Classic and Tribute. They are a little bit transparent and you can obviously see the phillips head at the ends, but they have the look.
6.jpg

1all's Pub

Reaction score

This quote/comment from JP isn’t really applicable to the modern sealed Klusons/Kluson type (ie, Grover makes sealed Kluson type too now). These modern sealed versions are every bit as good at holding tune as the Grovers JP is talking about.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
"My lineup" lol, I posted a few guys.

Most don't give a shit. Try sending that page quote to "my lineup". Lol

Dude, YOU were the one that said: "Don't do it! Just look at famous players bursts!" Jesus.

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound snarky. What I meant was that among the truly "classic" Les Paul players, most seem to prefer Grovers.

In my own experience, the Grovers are less likely to move around, in line with what Page said.

Latest Threads