Replacing Klusons with Grovers

970harris

Reaction score
Tone Pros bought Kluson and made some changes that look interesting. 15:1 and options for peg hole size.

Robert

Thanks for this post, Robert. The 16:1, sealed, 3 on a rail in line model with the buttons looks like it might be the ticket for a Junior or a Special. Looks like no modding --- either post hole routing or new mounting holes --- required.

Plus it looks like they have different tulip-styles for Bursts to accomodate both upgrading from stock (with no post hole routing) or retrofitting into holes that were enlarged at one point for Grovers, etc.

Sawgwa

Reaction score
OK the Kluson name is licensed to TonePros. No offense meant.
Anyhow I am wanting to upgrade my tuners (2002 Les Paul Standard) also and I like the Kluson look. I talked with Marquis Distributors and found for a no mod necessary 15:1 ratio there is a now a new TP Kluson product the TPKG3. I have a set on the way for Lester and the TPKB3 (for larger holes) for my 89 J100, both in nickle. I may need to speed tarnish the ones for the J100 so they look like the ones on there now. Brian at Marquis Distribution was very helpful. You can contact him and let him know what year etc and he will let you know what ones will fit no mod. He even said I could probably get the TPKB3 faster locally but the other is new and might not have much market penetration yet. I bought both sets from him, 10 shipping.

FYI 60s style, double line, single ring. The tuners are supposed to be vintage cream. I wont miss the butt ugly green tulips.

Robert

buckpie

Reaction score
If any of you are switching out your Klusons for grovers, I'll buy your old Klusons (if they still are good) Contact me [email protected]

Thanks

Plexihead

Reaction score
OK the Kluson name is licensed to TonePros. No offense meant.
Anyhow I am wanting to upgrade my tuners (2002 Les Paul Standard) also and I like the Kluson look. I talked with Marquis Distributors and found for a no mod necessary 15:1 ratio there is a now a new TP Kluson product the TPKG3. I have a set on the way for Lester and the TPKB3 (for larger holes) for my 89 J100, both in nickle. I may need to speed tarnish the ones for the J100 so they look like the ones on there now. Brian at Marquis Distribution was very helpful. You can contact him and let him know what year etc and he will let you know what ones will fit no mod. He even said I could probably get the TPKB3 faster locally but the other is new and might not have much market penetration yet. I bought both sets from him, 10 shipping.

FYI 60s style, double line, single ring. The tuners are supposed to be vintage cream. I wont miss the butt ugly green tulips.

Robert

:hmm:

How did you find the TPKG3's as I've been eyeing those for a bit now, I guess I need a little push into trying them out. Hopefully, as stated, they won't need the headstock holes enlarged in an R9 (something I won't do).

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
If changing to the Grover's from Kluson's about how much has to be reemed from the inside ???

Stowburst

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If changing to the Grover's from Kluson's about how much has to be reemed from the inside ???

not that much, half inch? I just used a blue bit of tape round the drill head as a marker..

P7260008.jpg

P7260010.jpg

P7260009.jpg

Sawgwa

Reaction score
:hmm:

How did you find the TPKG3's as I've been eyeing those for a bit now, I guess I need a little push into trying them out. Hopefully, as stated, they won't need the headstock holes enlarged in an R9 (something I won't do).

reply to an email:
Hi John,
I did not need to enlarge the holes to fit them in my 2002 standard. I did use the original screws as the ones that came with the pegs where smaller.

They are double row single ring and I believe the historic tuners are single row. They are definitely better with a 15:1 turning ratio. The buttons are nicer. Not an Uncle Lou's quality but I find them more appealing than the green ones that are stock. They are totally sealed so no oiling is required though for accuracy there is a hole on the backs for cosmetics.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Plexihead

Reaction score
reply to an email:
Hi John,
I did not need to enlarge the holes to fit them in my 2002 standard. I did use the original screws as the ones that came with the pegs where smaller.

They are double row single ring and I believe the historic tuners are single row. They are definitely better with a 15:1 turning ratio. The buttons are nicer. Not an Uncle Lou's quality but I find them more appealing than the green ones that are stock. They are totally sealed so no oiling is required though for accuracy there is a hole on the backs for cosmetics.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Cool, thanks for the detailed response Robert, I'll have to order in a set and check 'em out. Since the "G3's" are relatively new I don't imagine too many people have tried them yet.

John

Zack Pomerleau

Reaction score
Bloomfield did not change the tuners, Erlewine did, and he installed them backwards!

TheWellGoodShow

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So your saying that all the grovers that come on Gibsons nowadays are asian made?

S

SKATTERBRANE

All Grovers since late 80s are Asian made!! And NOT Japanese made! Like the Gotoh Klusons on the Historic are. I think the Gotohs are the best Kluson style tuners ever made INCLUDING the original USA ones! But they are not Historically accurate. I understand WD (who owns the Kluson name) will have a new improved line out soon.

No Grovers have not been made in the USA since the late 80s. The best you can do for NEW Rotomatics are the vintage German made ones from Schaller:
http://schaller-electronic.com/upload/CY798634e8X116100b8502X1f8/1194273787345/M6_VINTAGE_GRUPPE.jpg

These are MUCH better than the Asian ones that MOST people offer and Gibson has used for last 20 years, and look better too. But the housing shape is still not correct!

S

SKATTERBRANE

Asian Grovers:
asianGrovers.jpg

Gold USA Grovers:
goldGrovers.jpg

See how the housing is different? SOME USA ones have the same housing style as the Asians. Like the target backed one on the extreme right center, that is a USA Grover too:
grovers-1.jpg

S

SKATTERBRANE

"Vintage series" Schallers, nice, but housing like Asian versions:
M6_VINTAGE_GRUPPE.jpg

Late 80s Asian Grovers, first version, notice the "Grover" is not the same as now:
earlyasiangrovers.jpg

Latest Threads