Replacing Grovers with Klusons

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post.:wave:

I have a 2001 R7BB with Grovers. I'm thinking about replacing them but thinking about installing Tonepros Klusons instead. I know most replace Klusons with Grovers but I haven't seen a thread for the other way around.

My questions:

Would Tonepros Klusons drop right in without modifications besides drilling the rear top screw hole? (I don't plan to drill the top hole for future value purposes.)
Will the Tonepros bushing be loose in the Grover hole?
Will the bottom hole align?

Thank you.

My 2001 R7BB:

244pa2a.jpg

I like it with the Grovers !!!!!!! :)

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
Yes the gold wafflebacks with the pearloid keys are correct for Customs through 1957. And since you have Grovers, you need some sort of adaptor bushing.

Reaction score
I think these are my favorite so far. Thanks!

Did you replace Grovers with these on your R4BB? What year is your R4BB?

Thank you everyone for your help. You guys have been fantastic! What a cool forum!

My r4bb is an '07 which was the first year they came with the ordinary klusons instead of the grovers. I replaced the stock klusons with the reissue wafflebacks. Big improvement. Grovers are good tuners. I have them in another guitar, and they do the job just fine. I may be in the minority here, but I prefer the look of klusons to grovers. The new wafflebacks are really good tuners. As said in my previous post, better ratio and they also feel tighter. Not much "slack" that you'd associate with klusons. Reminds me a bit of grovers in those aspects.

uOpt

Reaction score
What's the objective here?

Lighter tuners might sound better but it's pretty hard to verify.

In the 6-in-line world the Klusons have smaller holes than Grovers and Schallers. But you can buy wider sleeves for the Klusons.

Fink Ployd

Reaction score
What's the objective here?

Lighter tuners might sound better but it's pretty hard to verify.

In the 6-in-line world the Klusons have smaller holes than Grovers and Schallers. But you can buy wider sleeves for the Klusons.

Call me crazy but it's purely for aesthetic reasons. I think a great looking guitar (by my standards) can inspire too. I don't hate the looks of Grovers but on a '57 RI I think the waffle backs are period correct and look great. I'm not sure how Gibson could call it a "historic" '57 and throw Grovers on there. Now if it was a '58 Historic then I can understand. It's for the same reason why I like Kluson style tuners on my RI Fenders. I've never had a problem with Kluson style tuners on previous Gibsons I've owned or on my Fender RI guitars.

With all that said, I will most likely keep the Grovers on there since waffle backs and correct bushings cost so much. I think I'll spend it on tone altering mods instead or save for a R9. Maybe in the future though.

Texas07R8

Reaction score
I wouldn't change a thing, that guitar is F'ing beautiful! Besides, period correct or not, think about it this way, back in that period, most owners changed those Klusons for Grovers anyway. Good enough for Mr. Page and the others is good enough for me. If I were going to change them I would search for a vintage set of Grovers with Patent Pending on the case, now that's period correct PERIOD!

BTW_ What a beauty, I just love BB Customs. Me thinks me needs one of them in my collection.

Fink Ployd

Reaction score
I wouldn't change a thing, that guitar is F'ing beautiful! Besides, period correct or not, think about it this way, back in that period, most owners changed those Klusons for Grovers anyway. Good enough for Mr. Page and the others is good enough for me. If I were going to change them I would search for a vintage set of Grovers with Patent Pending on the case, now that's period correct PERIOD!

BTW_ What a beauty, I just love BB Customs. Me thinks me needs one of them in my collection.

Thanks. You guys have convince me of how cool the Grovers are. Maybe I have too much time on my hands.

I'm GAS'n for an R8 like yours (beatiful BTW!) or an R9.

Toften

Reaction score
Keep the grovers on man. It looks so much better with grovers on a custom than klusons, IMO.

River

Reaction score
Highly educational thread for me, but even as a big Kluson fan, I agree that guitar looks its best just as it is.

bombwithrobots

Reaction score
Bumping an old thread for my first post, sorry guys.

So, I'm looking at getting my first Les Paul Custom, most of the ones I am looking at have Grover tuners on them, but I really want to put the Wafflebacks on it instead. From this thread I understand that to install Vintage Kluson Tulip tuners instead of Grovers the headstock would have to be drilled, my question is, to install Wafflebacks instead of Grovers, is any drilling required?

Thanks guys

:slash:

SKATTERBRANE

Banned
Reaction score
You need to drill one extra screw hole each tuner to mount them in place of Rotomatics and you need an adapter bushing that fits in the Grover hole and yet has the correct diameter to accept the Wafflebacks.

Jakeislove

Reaction score
I'm itching to put Grovers on my G0 but am basically saving them as a Christmas present suggestion for the GF.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm of the same mind as the OP, I just ordered a set of bushings from RS, I'm going to switch the Grovers to Klusons in my Custom.

Weight and tone.

six-string

Reaction score
not to contradict anything posted here, but...

i have a Historic R4 BB Custom which originally came with gold Grover kidney bean style tuners stock.

the previous owner purchased and installed a set of "Vintage-style (read Kluson tuners) gold Grover tuners, that look very similar to the standard Kluson tuners Gibson uses. admittedly these are not waffleback, more like the dual line Kluson deluxe.
these replacements made by Grover were a drop-in fit and came with slide in bushings.
the previous owner did not drill for the second screw on the back of the tuner. i haven't done it yet either, but the tuners work just fine.

here is one photo.
i will get a shot of the rear of the headstock later.

R4BB-3.jpg

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
so you'll be doing some drilling?

No, I'm going to the smaller Klusons from the larger Grovers by using a bushing that fills the gap. It originally came with wafflebacks, I assume the screw holes are correct for Klusons. So I don't expect to have to take a drill to it.

EasyAce

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post.:wave:

I have a 2001 R7BB with Grovers. I'm thinking about replacing them but thinking about installing Tonepros Klusons instead. I know most replace Klusons with Grovers but I haven't seen a thread for the other way around.

My questions:

Would Tonepros Klusons drop right in without modifications besides drilling the rear top screw hole? (I don't plan to drill the top hole for future value purposes.)
Will the Tonepros bushing be loose in the Grover hole?
Will the bottom hole align?

Thank you.

My 2001 R7BB:

244pa2a.jpg

Nah, leave it be.

I'm still trying to work up the guts to get my Studio refitted with Grovers like yours. (I'm still half afraid that it'll compromise the headstock integrity if I get them switched . . . and I'm afraid afraid of that plus lowering the value of my Classic Antique if I have her done, too . . . )

Latest Threads