Replacing Grovers with Klusons

Fink Ployd

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post.:wave:

I have a 2001 R7BB with Grovers. I'm thinking about replacing them but thinking about installing Tonepros Klusons instead. I know most replace Klusons with Grovers but I haven't seen a thread for the other way around.

My questions:

Would Tonepros Klusons drop right in without modifications besides drilling the rear top screw hole? (I don't plan to drill the top hole for future value purposes.)
Will the Tonepros bushing be loose in the Grover hole?
Will the bottom hole align?

Thank you.

My 2001 R7BB:

244pa2a.jpg

Stowburst

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hello, they should fit fine..just need to drill extra hole for Klusion screws.

Personally I would keepo the Grovers, they are better tuners and that guitar looks GREAT with them Grovers! If you do swap them, please can I buy your set?

flameburst

Reaction score
I think you will need to plug the existing drive holes and re-drill smaller drive holes for installing 'waffle-back' klusons. Not sure if they make a generic sized post nowadays - but I may be proved wrong!

To avoid hassle and fiddling about I'd leave it well alone.

On vintage Customs, waffleback klusons tended only to be installed on Customs up to late-1957 anyway (when PAF humbuckers replaced the alnico5 and P90 p/ups).

Fink Ployd

Reaction score
I think you will need to plug the existing drive holes and re-drill smaller drive holes for installing 'waffle-back' klusons. Not sure if they make a generic sized post nowadays - but I may be proved wrong!

To avoid hassle and fiddling about I'd leave it well alone.

On vintage Customs, waffleback klusons tended only to be installed on Customs up to late-1957 anyway (when PAF humbuckers replaced the alnico5 and P90 p/ups).

So Grovers are as period correct for 1957 as Klusons?

BTW, if I have to do any drilling then forget it. I don't hate the Grovers. I just thought that they aren't period correct and I like the look of Klusons too. I figured if they slipped right in and didn't require me to drill I would just have both to switch back and forth.

Another shot of just my tuners. They're aged pretty cool and match the rest of the hardware on the guitar so I would never sell them.

2hge242.jpg

Thanks!

MesaBoogie

Reaction score
There are however replacement buttons in the "classic tulip" style for Grovers. I think you can get them from members on this forum.

Grtz,

Mesa.

Fink Ployd

Reaction score
Anybody know what year they started using Grovers on Customs? Thanks.

Pink_Floyd

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post.:wave:

I have a 2001 R7BB with Grovers. I'm thinking about replacing them but thinking about installing Tonepros Klusons instead. I know most replace Klusons with Grovers but I haven't seen a thread for the other way around.

My questions:

Would Tonepros Klusons drop right in without modifications besides drilling the rear top screw hole? (I don't plan to drill the top hole for future value purposes.)
Will the Tonepros bushing be loose in the Grover hole?
Will the bottom hole align?

Thank you.

My 2001 R7BB:

244pa2a.jpg

Hey, never mind all that, what's with the user name!!! :D

Fink Ployd

Reaction score
Wow! Thank you for all the information and links Skatterbrane! I think I'll get some to switch off.

Now can anyone give me tips to age them to match my current hardware?

Fink Ployd

Reaction score
IMO, those Grovers are more period correct than the tonepros kluson.

You need the "waffleback" superklusons. I have a set in my r4bb. Far better tuners than the regular klusons. Better ratio and they also feel a lot tighter.

Aged tuners: RS Guitarworks Online Store

You'll also need a set of aged gold conversion bushings: RS Guitarworks Online Store

I think these are my favorite so far. Thanks!

Did you replace Grovers with these on your R4BB? What year is your R4BB?

Thank you everyone for your help. You guys have been fantastic! What a cool forum!

flameburst

Reaction score
Anybody know what year they started using Grovers on Customs? Thanks.

There are of course exceptions to the rule - this is Gibson we're talking about...

Generally speaking though, 1957-1958 'humbuckered' LP Customs would have had the waffle-back klusons, and '58 thru '60/'61 - would have had the Grover Rotomatics.

Of course, then there's the whole 'how many two pick-up humbucker Customs were actually made between 1957 and 1961' story. Answer = very, very, very few.

Still think you should leave the groovy grovers on tho! A much better performing machinehead.

Latest Threads