Replacing Grover Rotomatics with Kluson Revolutions

Atomant

Reaction score
I'm surprised at the lack of topic on this. Have anyone ever tried replacing their 502 series Grover locking rotomatics with Kluson Revolutions? Would it be a drop in fit if I were to drill an extra hole on top for the Klusons?

scozz

Reaction score
I'm surprised at the lack of topic on this. Have anyone ever tried replacing their 502 series Grover locking rotomatics with Kluson Revolutions? Would it be a drop in fit if I were to drill an extra hole on top for the Klusons?

Why would you do that?

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
There's really no point. You're just drilling extra holes. Grover makes an 18:1 Rotomatic (versus the 19:1 on the Revolutions). If it's a matter of button style, the Grover kidney beans can be swapped out for whatever you're going for with the Revolutions. Sport Hi Tech has the buttons. If you must have Revolutions, it's a direct fit on the bottom screw hole, but you'll have to drill new for the top holes. I've used both and I honestly see no reason to change... Unless you just absolutely have to have the Klusons for really no good functional reason.

Hogie34

Reaction score
I replaced some old Gibson deluxe tuners with the Kluson Revolutions. Definitely an upgrade on tuning stability and feel. That being said, they are heavy. As far as being an upgrade to Grover’s, I’d say don’t even bother. If you are looking to reduce weight, the revolutions are a heavy tuner. Actually felt a lot heavier than the Grover’s . Just my experience with them.

Atomant

Reaction score
There's really no point. You're just drilling extra holes. Grover makes an 18:1 Rotomatic (versus the 19:1 on the Revolutions). If it's a matter of button style, the Grover kidney beans can be swapped out for whatever you're going for with the Revolutions. Sport Hi Tech has the buttons. If you must have Revolutions, it's a direct fit on the bottom screw hole, but you'll have to drill new for the top holes. I've used both and I honestly see no reason to change... Unless you just absolutely have to have the Klusons for really no good functional reason.

Thank you for the info jstarr. May I know if the Kluson Revolutions feel just as good as the Grovers?

kensh999

Reaction score
I put Revolution locking tuners on my 2017 LP Tribute, they were a drop in replacement for the Gibson Deluxe tuners. They are better functionally if you prefer locking tuners. Also they look great. I did not notice any particular neck-diving effect due to the slightly higher weight. Can recommend.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm glad someone said the Klusons are heavy. I was trying to find a weight on them. I have an SG with the G Force that is neck heavy. Non locking Grovers are only 10g lighter than the G Force is.

edselman

Reaction score
If you want light weight, historical accuracy and very smooth operation, replace the Grover’s with Kluson Deluxe tuners with press in conversion bushings. I have used them for years on my Custom Shop Strat and put them on my Les Paul Traditional. You would need to drill the top hole. On the other hand I didn’t replace the locking Grover’s on my 2018 SG as the Grover’s are clearly superior in every way. If you enjoy the performance of the Grover’s just replace the buttons.

Bud Stoner

Something Something Jedi...
Reaction score
These Hipshots may be an option.

With plastic buttons on, these things are light weight AF.

19:1 gear ratio in locking or non locking, can't beat that.

Not vintage accurate, but a great upgrade nonetheless.

elephantrider

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i put the revo's on my '19 dc junior. they are in fact a bit heavy, but are super duper nice units.
very smooth operation.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
Thank you for the info jstarr. May I know if the Kluson Revolutions feel just as good as the Grovers?

I’d say they’re equal. Maybe a slight edge to the Revolution in terms of feel, but I’m not in the habit of drilling extra holes for a negligible difference in feel. Both are great tuners. I love the Milk Bottle Grovers and those are 18:1.

Atomant

Reaction score
I’d say they’re equal. Maybe a slight edge to the Revolution in terms of feel, but I’m not in the habit of drilling extra holes for a negligible difference in feel. Both are great tuners. I love the Milk Bottle Grovers and those are 18:1.
Yeah as I’m researching on Grover replacements I have also began to acquire the taste for milk bottle Grover’s and Grover’s in general.

BrianB

Reaction score
I put a set of milk bottles on my '92 LP...love 'em.

Guitpicky

Reaction score
Yeah as I’m researching on Grover replacements I have also began to acquire the taste for milk bottle Grover’s and Grover’s in general.

Glad to hear you're getting it worked out, regardless of how that comes about :)

In all honesty I've never changed tuners because I thought the ones that came with a new guitar were somehow inadequate. In my experience guitar mfrs are pretty good about using tuners that are appropriate for and commensurate with whatever instrument they're installed on.

Personally I much prefer the style and look of Grovers. The only reason I'd go with Klusons is for historical accuracy and only to replace non-functional original equipment.

What is historically accurate depends on what YOUR guitar originally came with. Putting Klusons on a guitar just because they're used on Historics doesn't make YOUR guitar any more historically accurate unless it came with them in the first place.

Gibson used Grover classic locking tuners (cam, no thumb wheel) on my Modern LP Custom. Out of all the tuners they could have used what they did use was both functionally and aesthetically the best choice for that guitar. Putting Klusons on it would only reflect a lack of taste on my part :)

Latest Threads