Replacement for Burstbucker Pros? Dimarzio Perhaps?

karaterick

Reaction score
Just got a 2016 LP Standard and I don’t think I jive with the Burstbucker Pros. Liked the 57 Classics in my Epi Tribute LP better.

So I’m thinking Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and 36th Anniversary in the neck.

I like a raw and raunchy tone and play blues, classic rock, and. 80s - 90s Metal / Hair Metal.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Also, I really like the Cream pickups or Zebra. Do you think cream would blend well?

9B27393C-2054-4816-80AB-0ACE156F9263.jpeg
9B27393C-2054-4816-80AB-0ACE156F9263.jpeg

karaterick

Reaction score
fwiw - a Super Distortion is pretty much the exact opposite of the '57 Classic you like.
I get that. I’m just saying I liked the 57s more than the Burstbuckers. I liked them and they could be an option as an improvement.
I’ve had Dimarzios in Super Strats and like them a lot. Not sure how that translates to an LP.
Also, as a reference, I really don’t care for a Seymour Duncan JB either.

jbash

Reaction score
Cheapest first stop on the route- Try some different mags in the BB pros first- Alnico 2 is my suggestion or Unoriented Alnico 5.

David Garner

Reaction score
Given your likes and the music you play, along with the fact that you don’t like the BB Pros or JB, I’m going to suggest a pair of Duncan 59s. Less hot and more vintage than the BB Pros, more clarity than the JB.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
That sounds like a good combination to me, OP.

I love the Super D, but just yanked one out of a guitar it just didn't work in (too many harmonics/ too much string noise). I put a set of 36th annys and I am a happy camper.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
Kind of hard to narrow it down without an idea of the amp, scenario (recording vs. live, bedroom vs. stagevolume), or what exactly you don't like about the BB Pros.

Oddly, all BB Pros I've played have that raw edgy thing you describe. I didn't mind 'em after playing with heights and toying with amp eq and tone/volume knob levels. YMMV.

I imagine you'd be pleased with Dimarzio 36th, Duncan AP2, Slash Sig set - or reaching out to any of the various boutique winders out there. Wolfe M from Wolfetone is having a sale on his stuff - he's a good dude.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Ditto on the UAO5 swap.

Also check out the Top Shelf from Onamac Windery. Killer p/up. It's what I wanted my SD Pearly Gates to sound like.

The SD Pearly Gates neck p/up is really really nice, the bridge need more power though.

AJK1

Reaction score
Just got a 2016 LP Standard and I don’t think I jive with the Burstbucker Pros. Liked the 57 Classics in my Epi Tribute LP better.

So I’m thinking Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and 36th Anniversary in the neck.

I like a raw and raunchy tone and play blues, classic rock, and. 80s - 90s Metal / Hair Metal.

Also, I really like the Cream pickups or Zebra. Do you think cream would blend well?

View attachment 462468View attachment 462468
A set of Sat Night Specials in zebra would look and sound great IMO
And a pick guard !

C Squared

Reaction score
Try a set of Transitions. Dial up some growl, clean up with a little less digging in. I am also not a fan of the BBs

ErictheRed

Reaction score
Seymour Duncan JB is pretty much the definition of 80s-90s rock, hair metal, grunge, etc. What don't you like about it? You will get as many pickup recommendations as people replying, you realize.

I actually loved the BBs in my old 2004 Standard (so much so that I swapped them for the '57 Classics in a 2009 Traditional and then sold the Standard), and I love the Burstbuckers that are in my 2009 R9. Maybe the ones in later Standards are different? A lot of people seem to like the '57 Classics more.

AJK1

Reaction score

View attachment 462468View attachment 462468
So what did you get ?

Last edited:

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Premium Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Kind of hard to narrow it down without an idea of the amp, scenario (recording vs. live, bedroom vs. stagevolume), or what exactly you don't like about the BB Pros.

Oddly, all BB Pros I've played have that raw edgy thing you describe. I didn't mind 'em after playing with heights and toying with amp eq and tone/volume knob levels. YMMV.

I imagine you'd be pleased with Dimarzio 36th, Duncan AP2, Slash Sig set - or reaching out to any of the various boutique winders out there. Wolfe M from Wolfetone is having a sale on his stuff - he's a good dude.
My take on BB pros as well.

To the OP, it would really help if we knew what it was about the BB Pros you dislike? Too Compressed (would be one guess), don't like the Mids?

David Garner

Reaction score
My take on BB pros as well.

To the OP, it would really help if we knew what it was about the BB Pros you dislike? Too Compressed (would be one guess), don't like the Mids?
For what it's worth (which may be little, since my rig isn't everyone else's rig), I just swapped from a low wind, unpotted PAF set to the stock pickups (498t/490r) in my 93 Les Paul, to a JB/59 set. Messing around with them recently I learned that you can get all sorts of cool vintage tones out of them depending on how you set the amp. You can also get straight balls out 80s metal tones too, and they excel at that, but I have the Custom Shop Pearly Gates set in my other LP (also low-ish wind, unpotted PAF types), and I can set the rig up to sound pretty close with both sets. I have to dial the gain back to get those tones out of the JB/59 setup, and they never sound identical. I do prefer the PAF styles for more classic tones. My point is, hotter pickups don't have to be all compression and mids. You can't really dial out the character of the pickup, but you can set the amp and pedals up to compensate for it.

Granted, I put the PAF types in my 93 to begin with because that's the tone I was after and it was easier to get it with those than with that 498t in the bridge (the 490r and the 59 are pretty much that sort of pickup anyway save the wax potting).

Point is, hot doesn't always have to equal compressed. You can get a more open tone just by turning the knobs on your amps and/or eliminating boost from your signal. And it works pretty well.

GeeJay

Reaction score
I put CTS 500k pots and Orange Drops in my '02 which has BB V pups (later called BB Pro) and modded the circuit to be 50's wiring configuration. For me, this made a substantial difference (improvement) in tone from both pickups. YMMV of course.

Latest Threads