Replacement bridge for my Standard 60s

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Standard 60s that I've owned from new. Lovely guitar, but the bridge is letting it down. It buzzes and rattles, gives me sitar notes on random strings at random times, and the saddles fall out regularly when changing strings. Just feels poor in quality overall.

First world problem I know, but has anyone found the same? Anyone replaced the bridge, and if so what with? Did it help?

bgrizz

Reaction score
The stock wired ABR on new Gibson’s is an ABR in appearance only lol. I installed a faber bridge and it was a worthwhile upgrade. I didn’t notice any changes in tone if I’m being honest but it fits tighter, saddles easily adjust, looks great and locks down so I no longer have to spend the day getting the bridge height “perfect” after changing strings. Saddles came slotted and worked fine, I have since then tweaked them here and there with files but that’s me being picky and bored more then out of necessity.

gball

Reaction score
ABR's are a poor design that was upgraded to the Nashville for multiple reasons. It's bewildering that people still want them on new guitars. I'm going to change out the ABR that came on my '50s Standard for a Nashville and that's what I would recommend.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
What you describe are the exact problems that caused Gibson to change the design.
The wired ABR did not always hold the middle saddles down, so there would sometimes be sitar.
The non-wired ABR doesn't hold any of them down, so if you tune down to pitch, or sometimes after a heavy bend, the saddle will lift, impacting intonation and break angle, and of course causing the screw to rattle.

Faber or TonePros are both good replacement options. I like the Tone Pros locking style... stays put with all strings removed for cleaning or pickup work.

Malchik

Reaction score
ABR's are a poor design that was upgraded to the Nashville for multiple reasons. It's bewildering that people still want them on new guitars. I'm going to change out the ABR that came on my '50s Standard for a Nashville and that's what I would recommend.
I agree. I believe a lot of people shit on the Nashville because it was a Norlin improvement.

JMP

Reaction score
The TonePros bridge is affordable, high quality, reasonably priced. I have one on my Traditional and can recommend it.

drugprowlingwolf

Reaction score
The retrospec part is a very, very nice unit. Faber is top notch too for a little less, with a little less historical accuracy if that matters to you.

FWIW, the feel and tone of an ABR1 are worth the price of admission for me. None of that is audible through my amp in a mix. I like the way my hand sits on it, the look, and the guitars I've changed it have seemed to improve. If not tonally, the feel alone makes it worthwhile to me - just my two cents.

Southwest

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. This has felt like a dirty little secret to me, and I agonised over whether to raise it on a Les Paul forum.

Your responses are much appreciated and I now have some research to do. Will report back.

Thanks again.

Overture

Reaction score
Faber all day. Nothing but good experience with them and their parts.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's put it this way....
I don't have numbers, but my gut tells me that there are 4 to 5x as many Gibsons using the Nashville bridge than the ABR.

And even the current ABR is not a true ABR... the studs do not thread into the body, they thread into bushings pressed into the body, so if you're looking to the ABR for some kind of Mojo, it ain't got it ;)

vlxerdon

Reaction score
Picked up an aluminum Nashville from Philadelphia luthier. Works well for me.

Latest Threads