Replaced my LP Standard Grover tuner buttons with pearloid ones, what to do with the chrome mounting screw?

Governator

Reaction score
I recently replaced the Grover buttons with Hipshot pearloid ones - looks great! However, the chrome mounting screws on top of the button stand out quite a bit. Is it possible to coat the heads of these screws with some kind of pearl coloured paint - I guess it would need to be thin, durable (like an enamel)? Anyone else done this?

Knoby

Reaction score
I just used a dab of white-out. It's all I had handy at the time.
One of the hipshot buttons started to split so I replaced all the tuners with schaller g series. They are more precise, however the colour is too minty for my liking.

Governator

Reaction score
Thanks, that’s not good with them splitting! I would have liked to have put on something like the Schallers too but I really love the locking functionality that the Grovers on there have, also didn’t want to drill holes on my headstock.

timbraun

Reaction score
To the right - Kluson locking with pearloid keystone buttons. The chrome screws are visible but I'm okay with them.
To the left - Grover 135N tuners with minty keystone buttons.
20211026_103521 (2).jpg

I'm not a fan of the feel of the little white buttons that come on most LP Specials. I'm more confident tuning with a larger button.

rfrizz

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try pearl colored nail polish.
Whatever he uses to "paint" the screw heads, he should consider what he will have to do when he needs to remove it. If he uses fingernail polish, he needs to be sure acetone (or whatever else he would use) will not hurt the tuner buttons.

Latest Threads