Replace P-90's in LP Special with mini humbuckers...Yes? No?

jimmyohio75

Reaction score
I love my new LP Special. It plays like a damn dream but.......the friggin 60 cycle hum is killing me. Anyone ever remove ther stock P-90's and drop in some mini humbuckers or P-90 sized humbuckers?
How did you like the results?

Lester

Reaction score
I love my new LP Special. It plays like a damn dream but.......the friggin 60 cycle hum is killing me. Anyone ever remove ther stock P-90's and drop in some mini humbuckers or P-90 sized humbuckers?
How did you like the results?

I haven't done it, but it should be a "mostly" drop in replacement. Depending on how they mounted the P90's, and depending on how the mini's you by come, you might have to play with mounts and mounting screws.

There was some video of a mini install. It might not match your situation perfectly but it will give you some ideas about the issues you might need to deal with: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0szX-Oq5o]YouTube - Installing mini humbuckers Part 1[/ame]

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
noise gate as mentioned above. i have a p90 wound to 14k in my se one and use the mxr smart gate when i have it cranked.

floyd84

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know how newer or aftermarket minihums are, but if they're anything like the ones in my 75 Deluxe, you'll be really happy with them. Maybe you can try replacing one at a time to see if you'll like them?

TreeHugger

Reaction score
Definitely need a gate of some sort. I use an ISP Decimator. From the guitar straight to the Decimator input, then the rest of the chain. Pickups are dead silent, even in my noisy (with gate off) Strat.

johnny1423

Reaction score
get p100s...stacked humbuckers that look and sound(very close) to p90s
btw...i am looking for a set of Gibson P90s...email me
[email protected]

Mantis

Reaction score
get p100s...stacked humbuckers that look and sound(very close) to p90s
btw...i am looking for a set of Gibson P90s...email me
[email protected]

p100's may not fit, the rout needs to be deeper as they are "stacked"
I replaced my 100 with a p90 and had to shim it with some foam to keep it from floating.
i think you should give those p90's a chance, they are tone monsters, my p90 guitars don't seem to hum while i'm playing , but then again that's not what i am listening for, if the hum is annoying use a noise gate like Marc1kim said.
:cool:
hum shmum!!!

SingeMonkey

Reaction score
I hated mini-humbuckers. Lots of people do. Go for one of the Fralin noiseless P90 sets if you can't stand the hum.

Latest Threads