Replace hardware on 2022 LP Standard 50s?

stone_fingers

Reaction score
I recently got a new LP Standard 50s and was looking at options to replace the shiny chrome hardware with aged parts. Initially I fell in love with the Creamtone LIX parts but then I found a few threads on this forum where people report having issues with orders, shipping, etc, so I guess I will need to consider other options.

Any opinions on who makes the best quality aged hardware? Also, what is the difference in tone between nickel and aluminium hardware?

I am completely new to replacing guitar parts so any help is appreciated. Cheers!

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
That’s nickel plated hardware on your Standard, which can be easily aged. Just Google aging nickel. I’ve had great success with putting the hardware in a sealed Tupperware container with a small bowl of muriatic acid. You can hand tumble all the parts together in the Tupperware before adding the acid, which will help with the distressed/aged look.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
I get wanting to make the hardware less shiny. I have a 50s Standard too. I've also had various Custom Shop Reissues with the VOS treatment. They were all great too with the overall look on the finish of the whole guitar. I sold and traded them until all I had were Fenders. So I bought the 50s Standard after stopping in Guitar Center one afternoon and played it. Everything just felt right and looked right, so I took it home.

Personally, I wouldn't change the hardware and would just leave it alone. I think I've had it going on a year now. I keep it out of its case and play it almost every day. It hasn't aged one bit. It still looks great. I think some guitars are meant to stay shiny and this is one of them.

I do like a relic too and that's what my Fender Strat is for. And in a moment of weakness, I just bought a Second LP. A custom Shop 54 Reissue with the VOS treatment. I guess I have the finished covered now. From shiny new to relic.

I wish you the best with your decision and hope your able to bond with your LP.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
That’s nickel plated hardware on your Standard, which can be easily aged. Just Google aging nickel. I’ve had great success with putting the hardware in a sealed Tupperware container with a small bowl of muriatic acid. You can hand tumble all the parts together in the Tupperware before adding the acid, which will help with the distressed/aged look.
Good point. I forgot about that as an option. I did that to a Baja Tele a long time ago. I I let it sit for a week without touching it, so the fumes could do their job. It worked quite well. Gave a very nice dull patina look to everything.

jrkhav

Reaction score
Could go with Faber aged parts through Glued to Music from the UK, they've always been great to me. And the Faber parts are absolutely spectacular. Without getting into another rabbit hole, they seem to have noticeably improved the tone in every guitar I've put them in. Definitely worth considering.

Last edited:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Nickel hardware will lose its shine in just a matter of a few weeks or months of daily play anyway. Just play the guitar and it won't be long before this happens. No need to waste money on new hardware to get that effect.

stone_fingers

Reaction score
I don't know what the hardware on my guitar is, but it looks like chrome. If I had to bet, I'd say it won't age a bit as @Roshy Boy says above.

I also read about the muriatic acid treatment, but it won't do much if the finish is chrome (it is said it works very well against a nickel finish though).

cmjohnson

Reaction score
If the hardware is chrome, the reflections will have a bluish cast to them. Nickel hardware is a bit more yellow.
1656559562401.png

BDW60

Reaction score
I don't know what the hardware on my guitar is, but it looks like chrome. If I had to bet, I'd say it won't age a bit as @Roshy Boy says above.

I also read about the muriatic acid treatment, but it won't do much if the finish is chrome (it is said it works very well against a nickel finish though).
It is nickel, not chrome. It will age, just not as quickly as some suggest. These folks must have absolutely toxic sweat and skin oils. If you don’t, it’s gonna take awhile and may never look fully “aged” if that’s what you want.

stone_fingers

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Really appreciate it.

How about the pickup covers on new LP Standard 50s? Do you reckon they are chrome or nickel?

zhollywood

Reaction score
Could go with Faber aged parts through Glued to Music from the UK, they've always been great to me. And the Faber parts are absolutely spectacular. Without getting into another rabbit hole, they seem to have noticeably improved the tone in every guitar I've put them in. Definitely worth considering.
Huge +1 on this.

I’ve had the Faber Tonelock bridge and tailpiece installed in my ES-339 for years and it absolutely woke the guitar up acoustically.

I just installed Fabers on my 2021 LP Standard 60’s and noticed the same overall improvement as I did with my 339. The lighter difference from the heavy bridge and tailpiece are a pleasant aspect too.

Last edited:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
For me, keeping nickel parts at full shine is a minor pain. Yet my strings last forever and never rust as long as only I play it. I mean literally they do not get rusty even after a year on a guitar.

But nickel hardware loses its shine and becomes cloudy in weeks if I play daily.

jstarr

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
If your LP is a 2022 50s Standard, it has nickel hardware. Tuners, bridge, tailpiece, pickup covers, screws... All nickel.

BayouGTR

Reaction score
You could just get the nickel hardware you want and age it yourself. Or try it on what you have first.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
I took a closer look at my hardware. Seems some of the luster is gone and they are developing a nice patina look.

Attachments

• A71C1F88-0798-4264-9F7C-DD340BF122EC.jpeg
    A71C1F88-0798-4264-9F7C-DD340BF122EC.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 13
  • E78AEB45-0F91-444B-86D8-E79B653899D9.jpeg
    E78AEB45-0F91-444B-86D8-E79B653899D9.jpeg
    73.5 KB · Views: 13

jrkhav

Reaction score
Huge +1 on this.

I’ve had the Faber Tonelock bridge and tailpiece installed in my ES-339 for years and it absolutely woke the guitar up acoustically.

I just installed Fabers on my 2021 LP Standard 60’s and noticed the same overall improvement as I did with my 339. The lighter difference from the heavy bridge and tailpiece are a pleasant aspect too.
They’re spectacular. I have them on both of my reissues and noticed the same changes you mention here, it’s quite impressive. I also changed the stoptail posts and bushings.

About to try Faber parts in a (so far) very average Les Paul Artisan that’s a project guitar… we’ll see how it goes but they have a great track record thus far.

Latest Threads