Replace EVERYTHING?

Telefan

Reaction score
I'm gearing up for an overhaul on my '78 LP Standard. It currently has very hot pickups and a Jimmy Page wiring scheme with push-pull pots for series, parallel, phase, etc. I'm gonna pull all that stuff out (it's just not my thing) and replace it with a pair of Lollar Imperials and one of his pre-wired kits. Here is my question: as long as I am replacing those component parts, is there a good reason to also replace the jack and toggle switch? There is noting wrong with either...and I am a novice (at best) at DIY guitar tech'ing. Part of me thinks if it ain't broke, don't fix it...and the other part thinks, as long as I'm in there replacing electronics, I might well replace everything. Any thoughts on this from you more experienced folks?

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would leave the jack and toggle switch alone if there are no issues with them.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
while i concur with above advice, it reminds me of a true story that happened to me years ago. i had just completely rebuilt a 57 chevy convertible short of a complete frame off. everything new...wiring harness, front end cap off and painted. by brother rebuilt the 283 and the parts house didn't have a fuel pump when he put it together. we chose to let it slide. everything else was replaced. guess what happened on the two hour drive back to my place......

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nah, don't replace them until they are a problem.

Mr French

Reaction score
Imperials are great pickups. The whole coil taps are not my thing and I understand why you don't want it.

You could just use the existing pots to save some money or go all out.

Telefan

Reaction score
I could re-use the pots, true, but I want the cleanest, simplest signal path possible. And I'm stoked about the Imperials; I have a set of Lollars in my Jazzmaster and I love them. Can't wait to hear my '78 boat anchor with pickups more appropriate for what I play.

ARandall

Reaction score
If you do not use the switch part of a push-pull then the signal path is identical to that of a regular pot.

Latest Threads