Replace 57 Classics with Bare Knuckle Stormy Mondays in a 335?

StuartMac

Reaction score
I have a 63 Historic 335 Reissue, which is my main guitar. I'm wondering whether I'll get just a bit more out the guitar with a pickup swap, and Stormy Mondays intrigue me.

Don't get me wrong, the guitar sounds great, and I have no complaints (other than a very slight ice-pickiness on the bridge pickup from time to time) but I just wonder if I can squeeze even more tone out of it.

Redwonder

Reaction score
Hi Guys,...Semi-newb here...I'm a long standing poster over on the Gibson Forum (Spotondrums).

I've just bought a '79 ES-335 TD and am also looking at a PUP replacement

Like SturatMac,..I've been looking at the Stormy Monday, amongst others...

....I guess I'm looking for that classic vintage PAF sound.

Under consideration are:-

1. Seymour Duncan Antiquities

2lm9yma.jpg

2. Bare Knuckle Mule

bk_pu_imag_400x300_03.jpg

3. Bare Knuckle Stormy Monday

bkpstormy_05.jpg

Any other suitable suggestions would be appreciated....

mdubya

Reaction score
What's in it now?

If you want great sounding PAF style pickups at a great price, I would contact our forum members Mouse, or captcoolaid owner of MHD pickups.

If you want to go higher up the price ladder, check out Throbak, or Stephens Designs. I believe Stephens has a wait time though.

Wizz makes a killer PAF clone at a nice price too.

If it has a decent set of original T-tops in it, I would hesitate to make a change.

If it were me, I would turn to Mouse or captcoolaid. They are awesome guys, great to get along with, really know their stuff.

jeffm

Reaction score
I keep hearing that Seth Lovers sound pretty good in a 335. I'm thinking about changing the pups in my 335 as well, so I'd be interested in hearing people's suggestions as well.

Redwonder

Reaction score
...Well I just made my decision and went for a set of Lollar Imperial Low wind....taking them into my tech tomorrow to get them installed. I'll let you all know when I get a chance to review them..

Lollar2.jpg

In all fairness,....I think any of Bare Knuckles, Lolla or Seymour Duncan Antiquity options are going to pretty darned good....

jeffm

Reaction score
...Well I just made my decision and went for a set of Lollar Imperial Low wind....taking them into my tech tomorrow to get them installed. I'll let you all know when I get a chance to review them..

Looking forward to your review. What do you have in your 335 now?

Redwonder

Reaction score
Looking forward to your review. What do you have in your 335 now?

She's a '79 ES-335 TD which I think is from the Norlin era... I've had a quick look under the hood at the PUP's but can't seem to tell what they are,......no markings what so ever....

They sound OK but I'm not convinced, hence the upgrade

:thumb:

Latest Threads