Repeatedly broken pickup rings....

Robert Parker

Reaction score
I've replaced the rings on my 93 Studio Lite about 4 times in the last few years, as they seem to keep breaking right along the centerline of the body. This last set made it a whopping 6 months or so. And I don't even take it out of the house but on odd occasions. So, it's not like they're subjected to abuse. I had been going with the Allparts rings, but it's annoying to have to replace them so often.

Any other brands? I guess I should get Gibson ones.....

Netwarrior

Reaction score
Plastic rings have to be sanded to acquire the same contour of the body. Any decent CAB ring instead, should bend to conform to the top carve without being sanded. They are quite a lot pricer than oem rings though.

howlermonkey

Reaction score
Somewhere, a guy is wondering why his pickup rings have a gap between the center and the body of his strat.

You may have to search for that one brand that is relieved for a more pronounced curve in the top.

jvin248

Reaction score

The trick is tape a piece of paper across the guitar body with strings and pickups off, tape a piece of 320/400 grit sandpaper to the top of the paper. Sand the bottom of the pickup to match the curvature of the body where you need to place it. Remove the papers and your ring should be custom form fitted to the guitar body you have.

Same trick is done with violin/viola/cello bridges to custom fit the bridge feet. Look there if you need a youtube video on how to accomplish the pickup trim ring fitting.

Robert Parker

Reaction score
Thanks y'all. I should have thought of all that. I had read somewhere that you should just be able to bend any plastic ring to shape, but clearly that doesn't work.

PierM

Reaction score
CAB rings and you’ll be fine for decades.

edselman

Reaction score
The only Gibson Les Pauls with pickup rings shaped to follow the contour of the top are Epiphones. Gibson rings are designed to bend to the shape of the guitar top. That’s the way Gibson has always done it. Try Gibson rings. They shouldn’t break. Mine never have on any of my Gibsons.

Latest Threads