Repair strap holder grooves / reliable strap-lock system

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered before, but what is the best method for filling a screw hole for the strap holder after it's become stripped, so as to be able to use a screw again.

Also, given the weight of a Les Paul (or in this case a walnut 'The Paul') what is a preferred strap-lock system?

Gibsonrocknroll

Reaction score
I put some flat tooth picks in the hole. I trimmed off the tooth picks at the top of the hole and put the screw back in. It's been holding for years. I use Schaller Strap Locks.

DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_360389_377_nickel.jpg

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
Yep, dab of wood glue and tooth picks.

ETA: Jim Dunlop strap locks are the only ones that have not failed me in 20 years...and some are that old.

Frankg11

Reaction score
easy tips have already been suggested. So yes on Tooth Picks and a bit of wood glue.

Locking Strap buttons are varied as are opinions. There are many choices. I have tried both schallers snd dunlop. They both work well and the designs have been around for a long time. This is the key... If the designs have been stable and they sell a lot of them, most likely they work well.

Choose what you like in terms of design. I went with Dunlops FWIW on all 14 of my Axes.

HDS

Reaction score
Yep, tooth picks. And don't use LOXX strap locks.

Reaction score
Wood glue and toothpicks is definitely the consensus. I have round toothpicks .. am wondering if they will work just as well?

Frankg11

Reaction score
round toothpick, square, as long as you can jam them into the hole tightly they should work fine.

The shape of the toothpick won't effect tone, however the wood type might!

:laugh2: :fingersx: :) :D

smurph1

Reaction score
Yep, dab of wood glue and tooth picks.

ETA: Jim Dunlop strap locks are the only ones that have not failed me in 20 years...and some are that old.

^^^ This.. All I have ever used are Dunlops.. IMO they are bulletproof!! I have them on my 2014 "Traditional"

Electric Funeral

Reaction score
another vote for Dunlops, never had a single issue but have had numerous problems with the Schallers over the years...

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Toothpicks (even without glue) & Schallers. :thumb:

edselman

Reaction score
I think that Schallers look better but Dunlops are more reliable. The problem with Schallers is that you must screw the nut down with Locktite or the nut will work it's way loose. I dumped one guitar headstock first into my pedal board when the entire Schaller came apart. I also found that if you try to screw the nut down really tight like using a vise and wrench, the threads will strip out (just plated brass).

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Dimarzio Clip-Locks.

Haven't failed or dropped a guitar in over 25 years.

they're also not bulky or contraption looking like all the others.

RRfireblade

Reaction score
Don't listen to anyone else here, I'm telling you toothpicks and a dab a glue is the way to go.

As for strap locks....Dunlops or Schalers. One is decidedly better than the other, no question. Just ask anyone.

Otto tune

Reaction score
Allow me to fan the flames.
If the screw pulled out of a plank of mahogany, why do you think a toothpick will hold?
The grain in a toothpick runs north and south, and in the original body, easy and west. That's stronger, crossing the grain.

I think if I were to use the toothpick method, I'd make the screw twice as long, and drill a new pilot hole.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Allow me to fan the flames.
If the screw pulled out of a plank of mahogany, why do you think a toothpick will hold?
The grain in a toothpick runs north and south, and in the original body, easy and west. That's stronger, crossing the grain.

I think if I were to use the toothpick method, I'd make the screw twice as long, and drill a new pilot hole.

The screw pulled out of a plank of mahogany because the hole was too big to begin with. The toothpick is just there to "fill in space" in the hole.

If you took the guitar to a luthier for this repair, she would use the toothpick method. And it would be a solid repair. There's no reason to over-complicate this.

Pwrmac7600

Reaction score
Toothpicks, and schallers. Anyone who tells you toothpicks won't hold is just being extremely too picky. I have repaired many a strap button hole with toothpicks and they have been holding for years. It works, just do it!!

Latest Threads