Renkenstein's LP Build Thread

jkes01

Reaction score
Yeah, cosmic/cosmo black or something. I've checked around the 2nd hand market a bit but nothing is jumping out as a great deal or a perfect match. I may end up all chrome or black by the end. I think that in-between color will look funky on a blue guitar.

For this build I'll be doing a DIY feeler gauge saw for the nut. I'll prob grab a torch cleaning set to put the round bottom in the nut slots.

Old strings and fine sandpaper will do the trick after cutting the slots with the feeler gauge files.

-John

Renkenstein

Reaction score
Old strings and fine sandpaper will do the trick after cutting the slots with the feeler gauge files.

-John

I did read about BCR-Greg doing something with folded sandpaper to clean up the slots. That got my wheels a'turnin. I guess you'd use a gauge smaller string to compensate for the thickness of the sandpaper, maybe?

I might just bother you, Scott, or Don once the time comes and buy some time until I can buy my own nut and crowning files.

I really blew my load when buying tools this winter, and it's proven difficult to get those little specialty items that the final stages of the build requires. To exacerbate the financial sitch, I've got a float trip comin up next month and a lake trip after that. The Speedo will not be denied.

Renkenstein

Reaction score

Finished pressing in the last 3 frets.

Filed the ends flush-ish. I'm going to make a file out of scrap mahogany and a mill file to get them perfectly flush and beveled. Here you can see the worst of the inlay job. #7 got the worst of the slop.

Renkenstein

Reaction score

Both of my current projects lined up on my 4x12 bench.

The binding was too tall, so I marked it to trim it up on the band saw.

Trimmed on the band saw. The fuzzy remnants make great goop pretty dang quick.

I initially tried to heat the binding with a hair dryer, but it didn't have enough oomph. The winning "tool" was found in the kitchen. Popcorn popper slash binding bender.

Mixed up some goop overnight and got to binding first thing the next morning. My 14 year old son helped dispense the tape. He may have torn off too many pieces, as you can see here with my painter's tape green burst Les Paul.

Removed the masking tape to reveal quite the mess to clean up. Out come the cabinet scrapers.

Using the curved scraper, I leveled it all out, and took a little more off the recurve for good measure. Cleaned up really nice. While scraping, I found some voids in the cutaway, so I had to press some goop in. We'll see how that worked out in the morning.

Renkenstein

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm not dead. Just wanted to let you know too many things got in the way of this build and I've moved on to other things. I've completed a guitar of my own design and I'm deep into my 2nd build. Here's some pics.

Maple/mahogany laminate construction
5 piece set neck
Curly maple top and fingerboard
Hipshot Grip-Lock open gear tuners
Hipshot fixed bridge
Dimarzio Evolution(bridge)
Ibanez V8(neck)
vol/vol controls, awaiting a 3 way toggle.

Renkenstein

Reaction score
Second build:

M2eMcD6.jpg

jivxDUD.jpg

vbMbUoa.jpg

KY3tqgk.jpg

Renkenstein

Reaction score
Thanks bud! Nawp...I've always been a fan of superstrats, so I decided to follow my heart...with pretty decent results. I'm damn near finished with this 2nd build, 90% of the raw construction is complete. I'm waiting on a Macassar Ebony fretboard from lmii, then I'll be able to button her up.

My former band is having a reunion/farewell show coming up here in January. Going to have 2 guitars to play for that show if everything else goes well with this build.

What have you been up to, Scott?

grohlstheman

Reaction score
Good to see you back at it again man...now hurry up and finish this les paul I love maple board les Paul's

Skyjerk

Sausages
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the design :)

Are those DiMarzio pups?

scottop1972

Reaction score
Thanks bud! Nawp...I've always been a fan of superstrats, so I decided to follow my heart...with pretty decent results. I'm damn near finished with this 2nd build, 90% of the raw construction is complete. I'm waiting on a Macassar Ebony fretboard from lmii, then I'll be able to button her up.

My former band is having a reunion/farewell show coming up here in January. Going to have 2 guitars to play for that show if everything else goes well with this build.

What have you been up to, Scott?

i have been working on a couple of paint projects.... one was a bass for my drummer buddy's son, and another is a strat build for a donation project. Painting is a bit of a pain, but it has been a learning experience for sure.

just waiting on parts right now and i am getting ready to polish out the finish. i hope it turns out good.

Really impressed with your builds. your work is so clean! you need to post up a video of it being played!:wave:

scottop1972

Reaction score
i have been thinking of doing an original design based off of a more ergonomic design.... i am thinking of starting this in January.

I have always liked the more asymmetric curves of the old Kramers.... and i liked the look of the Dean hard tails.... and i have seen some ergonomic designs like the ola strand bergs....

I will probably try to incorporate that as well as some other things like maybe a neck through and a smaller headstock like the axis' series....

just lots of ideas bouncing around in my head.....

i really need to put the ideas down on paper and make some decisions

KnightroExpress

Reaction score
I've been looking into the ergo thing too. I like your idea of a small headstock rather than headless... I just can't get into the decapitated look.

scottop1972

Reaction score
^ i am right there with you.... i don't know if i could do a headless guitar....

the far forward curves of the dean hard tail and the kramers on the upper bout are very comfortable... but i like the idea of notched areas on the lower bout for resting on my knee.

another thing i always liked was the cut out behind the tremolo on the reb beach ibanez models... i think i need to start cutting some templates for trial....

now when it comes to body wood type and carved vs flat top, I am in a quandary....

oh well. more to think about....

Latest Threads