Removing Weight From A Gibson Les Paul R9

Big John

log stand
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is one lazy tech.

Jesus, dude....steam off the neck, steam off the top, route out the body strategically, re-glue the top, re-glue the neck.

I wouldn't let this hack wash my dishes, let alone work on any of my guitars.

enjoikevin

Reaction score
Atleast he acknowledges that he ruined it lmao. That was a great watch. Might even watch it again

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good Lord.....NO!

You know he coulda cut those plugs to match....but Nooooooo

Clint

Reaction score
That R9 was on the heavier side but the owner woulda been way better off just trading it for a lighter one if he didn't like it. Plenty in the 8.5 lb range. Wonder what tech charged to ruin it.

bluesoul

Reaction score
9.5 is not a boat anchor! Now 10.5 .... well I am planing an inch off the back and might consider drilling ! Might make it a DC too! Maybe cut the headstock off and make it headless in case it gets neck heavy. Hack away I say!!!

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took off all the metal work on my R0, man it was amazingly light. Which kinda makes me really want an 8lb one as it felt really nice.

BadMongo

Reaction score
Shit like this is exactly why any time I hear someone complaining about how "soft" younger folks are, I'm inclined to suggest they spend some time on guitar forums reading about the lengths to which old dudes will go to avoid carrying an extra pound around.
"I spent thousands of dollars on this Les Paul, but it's 4 ounces too heavy - can you mangle it and destroy its value with some weight relief holes?"
This is why men don't get pregnant. :laugh2:

boola1

Reaction score
This is one lazy tech.

Jesus, dude....steam off the neck, steam off the top, route out the body strategically, re-glue the top, re-glue the neck.

I wouldn't let this hack wash my dishes, let alone work on any of my guitars.
Maybe the tech. doesn't have a router? If you're going to devalue the guitar this much, it doesn't really matter what you do to it..

Latest Threads