Removing stand rash

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Just let it go. Call it character. Attempts to take that off short of a refin will likely make it look worse, messed with, more obvious, less natural, etc.

It’s a cool Mary Kaye look on top, and that’s all anyone but you will ever see. It’s a great score.

Commit to doing nothing for 6 months and, if you’re like me, you’ll have long since stopped caring by the time you revisit the idea.

Last edited:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
…if you’re set on improving the look, swap those pink pickup rings out for black. Maybe gold covers on the PUs, if you dig the full-on Mary Kaye thing.

Congratulations!

viciscool89!

Reaction score
Not set on improving the look was just seeing if anyone knew if something like rubbing compound would remove any of that pink rash on the body bottom and neck back. for 1000 bucks I had to jump on it

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Sure, any abrasive rubbing compound, polish, cleaner, etc. will eventually get it all, as they are abrasives that remove material. …but you’ll hit the wood and have ruined the finish by the time you get through the stained part. It’s not ON the lacquer finish. It’s a chemical reaction, an exchange of materials, and it’s now IN the finish.

Dilver

Reaction score
You’d be surprised just how thick Gibson’s nitro finish is. You’d have to be very aggressive and just be rubbing in the same spot for hours to get through the finish. While agree, it’s likely leached through to the color and it’s not going to get it completely out, if it were me, I’d at least give a compound like Meguiar’s ultimate compound a shot.

viciscool89!

Reaction score
That's what a good friend of mine suggested, rubbing compound. Can't hurt, either way I'm sure it's gonna be a nice les paul. the neck looks easier than the body but all I can do is try

viciscool89!

Reaction score
If I could I'd pay gibson to fix it but that's probably expensive lol

Darkscience

Reaction score
You could probably sand it down some and it will mostly but not entirely go away, but enough that will likely leave you satisfied. Wet Sand / then Virtuoso to bring it back to match the rest of the guitar.

Using car polish or something like that is not abrasive enough to remove it.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
Just let it go. Call it character. Attempts to take that off short of a refin will likely make it look worse, messed with, more obvious, less natural, etc.
Best advice so far.

As stated above, it’s not ON the finish, it’s IN the finish.

It’s a chemical reaction that white shows off like a neon light.

You snagged a cool guitar.
Live with it for awhile.

Play it, do some minor mods to make it yours.
For me, that means a set of Schaller strap pins and a metal jack plate as soon as I get it home.
Locking tuners as well.

Swap your plastics if you want.
Put your preferred strings on it, and give it some time.

If the finish still bothers you, take it to a couple of different luthiers who are confident in making it right.
See what they recommend, and decide from there.

I’m willing to bet a dollar that compound or sanding it is just going to make the problem even worse.

Last edited:

James R

Reaction score
I could be wrong, I often am, but I feel like that's a Signature T.
The Sig T with the trans white finish came out in the same year (2013), and the Alpine White Trad in the link posted above is not a transparent finish, but a solid white.

Cool guitar no matter what model it is, I just wanted to throw that possibility into the fold for the OP in case he wanted to look a little deeper.

Edit:
Upon looking again, I'm fairly convinced it's a Sig T.
No pup covers, light orange colored fret board like the granadillo on the Sig T, and the transparent finish all point to that being the case.
Are the pots push/pull?

Last edited:

viciscool89!

Reaction score
Not sure on the pots as I haven't received it yet but looking online it probably is a signature t

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Since it’s white someone could easily refinish just the discolored areas. It wouldn’t be perfect but I would look much better. You could also sand off all the white and do a nice satin natural back and neck with maybe a little something to darken it.

viciscool89!

Reaction score
I'm not sure yet. If I did refin I'd love natural with a dark back or a gold top but only time will tell, just hope it gets here soon

viciscool89!

Reaction score
Haha I appreciate the sentiment but unless I practice a hell of a lot more I don't see that happening...it left Lexington, KY about ab hour ago

viciscool89!

Reaction score
Received the guitar today. took the pick guard off and it does have pull pots. only issue I'm seeing is on the low e locking tuner the wheel just spins I hope it's not broke

James R

Reaction score
Received the guitar today. took the pick guard off and it does have pull pots. only issue I'm seeing is on the low e locking tuner the wheel just spins I hope it's not broke
How're you liking it so far?
I played my Sig T for a couple hours this evening, great Les Pauls.

Latest Threads