Removing stand rash

viciscool89!

Reaction score
Hello, I recently acquired a really nice 2013 les paul traditional for 1000 bucks in white with gold hardware but there's a couple of eyesores...pink toned stand rash, any ideas how to remove it?
Screenshot_20221121-103916_Reverb.jpg
Screenshot_20221121-103913_Reverb.jpg

Gibson mad Mike

Reaction score
Sorry fella, it's pretty bad.
I hope you get some good advice from the members here.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
The dye is embedded deep in the paint. Really nothing to be done about it. A buffing session might take down the worst of it at the surface level but there's no way you'd get it all before you ran out of paint to buff down to nothing.

Dilver

Reaction score
Agree with the others. The only thing you might want to try is some automotive compound applied by hand. You will likely have to do several treatments before you see any difference.

smk506

Reaction score
That’s a cool guitar, love the finish. I would try some naphtha to see what happens on the surface. See what if anything that takes off, thins out or spreads around and then readjust from there. It’s a safe bet the discoloration is through the finish, but not guaranteed you won’t take the worst off the surface.

If you get as far as you can with the naphtha and want to go further, the virtuoso cleaner and polish set is good stuff. The cleaner is mildly abrasive and does a good job.

Good luck!

zak9990

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I recently acquired a really nice 2013 les paul traditional for 1000 bucks in white with gold hardware but there's a couple of eyesores...pink toned stand rash, any ideas how to remove it? View attachment 651024 View attachment 651026
Unfortunately those marks are in the Lacquer, most likely refinishing the area is the only option. White guitars are the worst for this problem. In my experience take it to a Luthier first before you mess with it, in this case it's a routine $75 touch up. It may end up that way anyway. and the Luthier gonna say " why didn't you bring it to me first" .

Mr French

Reaction score
That looks like a refinish job and the original color is seeping out.

viciscool89!

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure Mr French. I should receive it tomorrow, and even if it is I think a grand plus shipping isn't a bad deal. if it is a refin may just have it redone again being completely stripped and re-lacquer. I'll look under the pups and inside the control route to see any evidence either way.

Mr French

Reaction score
Honestly I'm not sure Mr French. I should receive it tomorrow, and even if it is I think a grand plus shipping isn't a bad deal. if it is a refin may just have it redone again being completely stripped and re-lacquer. I'll look under the pups and inside the control route to see any evidence either way.
I tried looking for a traditional in White and not finding anything. But for 1k, I'm jealous! Refin or not that's a heck of a deal for a Gibson LP!

I only said it's a refin as the top looks to be red at least for me.

I'm still waiting for the coffee to kick in so forgive my nonsense. Great deal btw!!

tzd

Reaction score
It's a very short run of Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II in Alpine White LPTP26AWGH3. The original pickguard is White.

viciscool89!

Reaction score
It's a very short run of Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II in Alpine White LPTP26AWGH3. The original pickguard is White.
That's pretty cool. I was blown away at the price, was originally 1200 and he lowered to 1050 so I snagged it. gotta love reverb...will keep everyone posted. anyone have spec info on the guitar? read it has 57s??

viciscool89!

Reaction score
I tried looking for a traditional in White and not finding anything. But for 1k, I'm jealous! Refin or not that's a heck of a deal for a Gibson LP!

I only said it's a refin as the top looks to be red at least for me.

I'm still waiting for the coffee to kick in so forgive my nonsense. Great deal btw!!
Your fine man, I've recently refinished a bacchus les paul with rit dye and cleared with nitro thinly but this I would probably send to gibson or just live with it, I just hope the pups and everything are original. most I see have zebras not dbl black but the gold lugs lead me to believe it may be stock, possibly had a mahogany top like the original les paul customs so that could be what "red" we see on the top

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The top is an transparent finish not a defect.

Mr French

Reaction score
Your fine man, I've recently refinished a bacchus les paul with rit dye and cleared with nitro thinly but this I would probably send to gibson or just live with it, I just hope the pups and everything are original. most I see have zebras not dbl black but the gold lugs lead me to believe it may be stock, possibly had a mahogany top like the original les paul customs so that could be what "red" we see on the top
Killer freakin deal bud! Only models of Les Paul I see under $1500 are studios and tributes and majority are in wine red lol.

Once you hit the $1500 you will find a model with binding on it.

I've been searching for a few days on Reverb for my next LP.

viciscool89!

Reaction score
Killer freakin deal bud! Only models of Les Paul I see under $1500 are studios and tributes and majority are in wine red lol.

Once you hit the $1500 you will find a model with binding on it.

I've been searching for a few days on Reverb for my next LP.
Definitely! this was a reverb find as well. I'm pretty excited even after tax and shipping it was still under 1300 bucks. really hoping it gets here tomorrow but ups hasn't updated any tracking info yet on their site

Mr French

Reaction score
Definitely! this was a reverb find as well. I'm pretty excited even after tax and shipping it was still under 1300 bucks. really hoping it gets here tomorrow but ups hasn't updated any tracking info yet on their site
UPS usually takes 24hrs to update once they pickup the item not counting weekends.

viciscool89!

Reaction score
We shall see, just hoping I don't get scammed though reverb would have my back I just really like the guitar and I've wanted a les paul for a long time, sold my 1999 martin d18v to get it

Latest Threads