Removing refin paint

Progear

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Need some help.. i got a strat from a friend that seems to have some kind of rattle can refin ( latex ?)
There is evidence that it maybe a 50’s body and i can clearly see what appears to be the original finish.

What is the best and safest way to remove the rattle can finish and preserve what I’m hoping is the original finish ?

Thanks in Advance
Progear

E7B80B28-EA1B-4AEB-AF63-19A954FB24D1.jpeg
E7B80B28-EA1B-4AEB-AF63-19A954FB24D1.jpeg

Last edited:

lowatter

Reaction score
I don't think that you can save the original finish on that one. If it is an original 50's body it's out of my pay grade to suggest anything. Maybe trying different solvents in a pickup cavity could work. Depending on what was used to refinish it you might get lucky. If it's not a real 50's I would strip it with Jasco stripper from Lowes/HD and do another refinish. Looks like some heavy sanding took place prior to the last paint job. Good luck with your new venture.

Last edited:

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you're not going to be able to salvage the original finish to any acceptable degree no matter what you do. I think that it's mostly been sanded off. So give it a high quality refin with nitrocellulose lacquer and call it good.

pbekkerh

Reaction score
The only chance you have is to sand the refin off with not too coarse paper and then try to sand/polish the original.
But if there were any scratches before refin, that paint will still be in those scratches, so you have to clean every scratch with a fine tool.
There's no chemical solution that can be controlled to such a fine degree.

Latest Threads