Removing Poly ? 1983 lp studio covered in crap poly

judson

Reaction score
searched a bunch of threads andt i know poly is a pain

have done the heat gun and scraper routine as i have not found any stripper that will remove poly...

is that aircraft stuff good or all hype?

the thing is with the heat gun and the neck is..... i am concerned getting the neck too hot and have frets, glue, fingerboard affected in a bad way

i used a hair dryer for the body so i am guessing it is not as hot as a real heat gun....

its a refinish someone stripped then put primer then poly....good job but ugly ass color...its gotta go, backside done

let me know please...thanks

Reactions: Who

B. Howard

Reaction score
Aircraft stripper with MEC in it was the only hope. They pulled MEC from consumer shelves the first of the year in the USA so only thing left is if you find some old stock that hasn't been bought up yet.....

judson

Reaction score
gawd i hate poly....thanks brian

its hair dryer and scraper day :(

DarrellV

Caramel Biscuits! - Wooo! - wait... LAMP!!!
Premium Member
Reaction score

emoney

Reaction score
Heat gun's can be had at Harbor Freight pretty cheap if you have one close. I've had mine from there for the past 6 years and had no issues. Of course, it's not a tool that gets used every day, but for the $20 I paid, I've definitely won out in the value battle. MUCH better than your standard hair dryer. Still a PITA, removing poly, but every little boost helps.

judson

Reaction score
read this online...anyone try this?

Pour equal parts of lacquer thinner and denatured alcohol into a small empty paint can. Mix with a wooden stir stick, scraping into the mixture any lacquer from the base and sides of the can. The mix will serve as your polyurethane stripper--strong enough to remove the finish but unable to penetrate the wood and disturb the stain if quickly removed.

judson

Reaction score
No chance that works.

I used Jasco paint stripper (not poly stripper). The Jasco paint stripper has stripped house paint, lacquer, all sorts of stuff. On an Epiphone it might as well have been water. It did nothing but clear the surface.

Jasco epoxy stripper on the other hand, did the job. And it took a lot of work and a lot of applications.

thanks Who...in fact i just went thru your poly thread....dam thats was alot of work you did...came out great...

yeah i think this one is goin to stop me from every buying anything with poly on it for a project....

this thread of Who's project has alot of great tips for anyone that was looking for suggestions...

i have a suggestion...why dont they ban poly on guitars????....:rofl:

Who thread:

greens

Reaction score
Every time I use the heat gun to strip poly I think, "never again." Then a few months pass, memories fade, and it starts to seem like a good idea again :)

judson

Reaction score
conclusion.....poly sucks, no easy way but a hair dryer, a metal putty knife and 5 hours to kill....1983 studio....anyone know what wood this is , they claim the first were alder ??? :dunno:

im not done but its a start......
lesson1.jpg
lesson2.jpg
lesson3.jpg

btw...it was original blue (look at end of fretboard) and someone stripped that, primed it and sprayed the poly.....so it was already compromised when i got it....have not decided what or how to finish it......hell im tempted to just throw on some parts and play it as-is..lol!

Last edited:

greens

Reaction score

judson

Reaction score
A Gibson studio? Did someone refinish it in poly? Would have be lacquered out of the factory.
yes it was Blue out of the factory, a tad lighter maybe than blue painters tape but close...i found it in the cavity edge, see the pic. ...then someone stripped it , primed it well and sprayed like an ugly reddish purpleish brown sparkle poly that looked like crap ....

i bought it as a husk...here is evidence of the original Blue which they did offer that first year...

this was built Mar 17 1983 per the serial number...

lesson4.jpg

emoney

Reaction score
It looks like it's Mahogany on the back and should be a Maple top.

judson

Reaction score
It looks like it's Mahogany on the back and should be a Maple top.
i am wondering really what it is ...here is the backside, after removing the poly, i scrubbed the hell out of it with acetone to get some of that black primer (i think thats what it is) off and i kept it up until there was nothing coming off on the acetone soaked rag........so i sanded for awhile trying to lighten it up....not coming out

you can see the heel is maple, the does not seem to be a distinct line showing a maple top....i read they were alder

honestly i have no clue....i dont think i can get that black out of the grain...it sort of has a blueish tint to it so i am thinking it was from the original blue factory finish...here is the back...

lesson5.jpg

judson

Reaction score
here is a close up of the sides/edge

lesson6.jpg
lesson7.jpg

judson

Reaction score
Maybe keep the spirit of days-gone-by and integrate the blue as the grain-filler. Include the dings.
you know i wanted to put some aniline yellow dye on it but was afraid it would turn it green!!!!

i think you can see the blue in those last pics i just loaded

im temped to spray a few coats of clear laquer on it and call it a day, throw on the hardware and see how it sounds :fingersx:

i dont name guitars ...but this would be blue barnwood beater barney

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
I wonder what some serious stripper would do to that blue now? Real poly/epoxy stripper.

It seems it would have to lighten it.

The edge looks pretty rounded at the cap from one angle. Is it rounded or sharp? Come to think of it, I don't even know if my refin Studio has a rounded or sharp edge.
i dont know if there is anything stronger than acetone, my other studios would wipe clean to fresh wood with almost zero residue from the factory finish...a light amount of sanding and that would be it on those...

this is the 3rd studio i have stripped, corners are sharp with some wear on parts, i cant see any line from the cap...i only see one middle seam on back and front....

that blue is in that grain...... so that was factory, not poly

Archer

Reaction score
I wouldn't think a hair dryer would help at all. They don't get anywhere near as hot as a heat gun, thus people don't burn their scalps and lose their hair.