Removing one magnet from MIM Strat pickups?

grumphh

Reaction score
What would be the outcome of that?

Would the pickup have less output?
Would the output be the same, but the sound either muddier or more shrill?
Both of the above?

(For those who don't know them, MIM strat PU's have two bar magnets at the bottom (like P-90's) magnetizing iron/steel polepieces.)

Basically, i love my MIM Strat, but not the pickups - which is not entirely unheard of :D
So i just would like to know whether removing one magnet is a viable option or not :)

grumphh

Reaction score
You are now tasked to do so and report your findings. Good talk.
I am not going to pull apart a working pickup if the outcome is dismal sounding - and the question should be easy to answer (for anyone techy who knows about pickups).

Lesser magnet strength with everything else unaltered affects the pickup how?

CheopisIV

Copper Slinger
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
They will sound worse. You'll get 1/2 the magnetic strength out of them so expect thin and shrill with very low volume.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I own 2 MIMS and a US try it you might get a funny or cool sounding Strat use an old pickup though in case of damage :p

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
You could try adding a bunch of extra magnets like Page's dragon Tele bridge pickup.

Of course, something ruined the sound of that guitar, in his recollection. Maybe that was it?

grumphh

Reaction score
I own 2 MIMS and a US try it you might get a funny or cool sounding Strat use an old pickup though in case of damage :p
Problem is, i want a cool sounding strat :D
It is a perfectly useable guitar as is - but its tone falls just short of the "i'm fully satisfied" mark.
Iow, while i play it and have fun, i constantly fiddle with the pickup heights, which i do not usually do.
By far most of my guitars have "set and forget" pickup heights.

grumphh

Reaction score
You could try adding a bunch of extra magnets like Page's dragon Tele bridge pickup.

Of course, something ruined the sound of that guitar, in his recollection. Maybe that was it?
:D Lots of things to try, i am sure - but all i really want is a tonal slight shift to something less brash, which is how i would characterize the sound of these pickups.

It just looks like simple mods really won't bring thes pickups to that point, so i guess i'll have to bite the bullet and just get some new pickups.

But thx for the great suggestion of adding magnets, rather than taking them away :D
What would you predict the outcome of adding magnets would be? Higher output voltages? Tone shift?

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
Adding magnets would probably weaken the existing magnets, increase inductance and give you an uneven string balance and frequency response. I wouldn't recommend it.

If there was a simple mod to make terrible sounding pickups sound better, everyone would know about it and be doing it already.

The combination of materials, design and construction result in the total sound of a pickup and you'd have to improve the materials, design, and construction to improve that sound.

JohnK

Reaction score
What would be the outcome of that?

Would the pickup have less output?
Would the output be the same, but the sound either muddier or more shrill?
Both of the above?

(For those who don't know them, MIM strat PU's have two bar magnets at the bottom (like P-90's) magnetizing iron/steel polepieces.)

Basically, i love my MIM Strat, but not the pickups - which is not entirely unheard of :D
So i just would like to know whether removing one magnet is a viable option or not :)
It would sound the same as if you had lowered the pickups. You end up with a weaker magnetic connection between the strings and the pickup.