Removing little ding from Goldtop

Boris1268

Reaction score
Hey, I just bought used 2017 LP Classic Goldtop. Guitar is perfect, although has some slight use marks (dinged headstock horns, etc, one broken plastic knob - easily repleaceable though). I acknowledge that battle scars are part of guitar life, but I'd like to ding it myself.

Thats why I'd like to ask about the possibility to remove really small ding from the top. Pics included. Is it possible to mask/hide it? It's barely noticeable, but I did notice it and now it bugs me some.

I appreciate any tips, regards!

Attachments

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Wouldn't bother me? In fact, it took me a minute to even see it in your pics.

if it bothers you that much, you could drop-fill it with a couple of drops of lacquer (or clear nail-polish), and gently wet-sand it smooth.

If it was mine, I would just leave it alone. It adds character (i.e mojo).:)

ARandall

Reaction score
If the gold layer has been affected no dropfill on earth will hide it.

If you are that obsessive, sell it and buy a new guitar this time - with no dings. Your level of compulsion to me seems at odds with your claim that you'd have no problem with your own dings.....I simply can't see it happening

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drop fill with nitro is worth a shot, do a few practice drops on something to get a feel for the drop size, drop a size smaller than the dent, and leave for a few weeks. Although i would say from what i have learned whilst on this forum a Gold top is hardest of all finishes to hide blemishes. You might find it hides it, but it might not.

i was a clutz and knocked an effect pedal off my knee in an act of stupid carelessness, so I decided to make a feature of it. Not for a moment suggesting you do same, this is real verdigris, it has darkened a touch since this pic and looks kinda OK. A have been sent some gold powder from a very kind forum member, will try a few test pieces and see if i can get a less obvious repair.

C6703658-37DB-4196-B0B2-522227F8A937.jpeg

Last edited:

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Drop filling almost never goes as planed. On a gold top, you would need to be extra careful to not get into the gold layer or it will lose its sparkle/color. If your lacquer has a different % of solvent then the one used at the factory (and it probably does), it could eat right into the gold.

I almost never will take a pure cosmetic repair into my shop. Rarely will they come out better than the actual spot /damage they are covering up.

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
BTW: CA dries harder than lacquer and its hard to sand down flush without sanding more of the lacquer than the CA glue spot. CA is better used on Poly finishes.

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Plus ever so often it turns red after absorbing something from the nitro.

redking

Reaction score
Play the shit out of it and put your own dings on it.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^ Plus ever so often it turns red after absorbing something from the nitro.
this is true with CA and nitro.

I had a mishap drip. It wasn't pretty .

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey, I just bought used 2017 LP Classic Goldtop. Guitar is perfect, although has some slight use marks (dinged headstock horns, etc, one broken plastic knob - easily repleaceable though). I acknowledge that battle scars are part of guitar life, but I'd like to ding it myself.

Thats why I'd like to ask about the possibility to remove really small ding from the top. Pics included. Is it possible to mask/hide it? It's barely noticeable, but I did notice it and now it bugs me some.

I can see by the pics that it's already cracked the metallic gold layer.

best case scenario is, you can fill over it with clear , but the outline is always going to show .

I say just live with it . It's not that devastating .

Cory

Reaction score

You need to sell it as is, or get it fixed - based off your post you’re never going to be ok with this ding no matter how many people tell you to just live with it - my question is have you ever attempted to drop fill nitro before? If the answer is no, you seriously need to consider taking it to a professional - I can almost guarantee you’re going to make it worse if you attempt to do it yourself - I’m not trying to sound like an arrogant prick so please don’t take it that way - nitro is a bitch to work with if you’ve never done it before - and you need to properly level the drop fill “bubble” with a razor before sanding - the nitro layer is a lot thinner than you think - if you just go in there and start trying to sand down the bubble from the drop fill, you’re running the risk of sanding through the nitro - you have to slowly shave away the bubble until it’s flat - really the only reason to lightly sand it at that point is to buff it back to a glossy shine - I can’t see a luthier charging a lot to do this - realistically once the drop fill cures, this is only like 30 minutes of work if you know what you’re doing - either way man best of luck and I hope it all works out! Oh, and if you do attempt to do this, make sure you let the nitro cure for at least a day or so before attempting to work with it.

Adinol

Reaction score
Think of it this way...

If you had a kid that got into a minor accident, which resulted in a small scar on the forehead... would you take the kid to have cosmetic surgery, or would you just continue to love your kid, as always?

I say, there will be dings, there will be scratches. The guitar will age with time. Play it, love it, enjoy it. If you take it to a repair shop there's actually no way of knowing you'll be happy with the results.

If you want a perfect gold top the only option is to do a complete refinish, I think. I believe gold tops are more or less impossible to fix to the level of making repairs invisible.

paintguy

Reaction score
Any attempt to repair it yourself is likely going to end up in a bigger repair or problem. I'd advise leave it or take it to a pro and be prepared to pay the price.

lespaul1648

Reaction score
Really bro...that is nothing for real. Dings and dents are going to happen just from playing. If you dont want any of that to happen just out in the case and leave it alone.

Experience

Reaction score
Hey, man, that's a wannabe ding that never reached true ding status. It is SO tiny ... LEAVE IT BE!

DBDM

Reaction score
we need a subforum for people who want their guitars to be perfect, to sell the used ones with small dings to people who want their guitars to be non perfect. Seems many want perfect and the others pay extra for "Murphy aging" (intentionally non-perfect). We can call this one "Ultra-ultra light Murphy Aging".

Seriously--to the OP--I have seen guitars sold as new with worse dings than that. Agree with the above advice to keep it as is or sell it. You will devalue the guitar by even attempting any sort of repair there.

Gas4LPs

Reaction score
Take it to a good tech and have them fix it. I had something similar on my Stratocaster albeit worse than yours. It is fixed and I cannot even see there was a ding.

Latest Threads