removing lacquer from frets on maple fretboard

redking

Reaction score
Other than masking off and using various abrasives, does anyone have a clever method of removing the lacquer from frets on a maple fretboard?

monty john

Reaction score
frets or fretboard??...if u mean the shiny assed fender way of spraying gobs of finish on a finger board..been there done that,,,on one 57RI i scraped with a razor blade sideways...somewhere on u tube there is a guy that shows this...if you mean the top of the frets then just steel wool...

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I realize this is not exactly what you asked..

But every time I do a Fender-style maple neck, re-crowning the frets during the fret-leveling process takes care of all of that. I do that every time I make a neck anyway.

If you use a slotted fret protector, some lacquer thinner and a rag, you run the risk of the thinner wicking down and messing up the lacquer.

redking

Reaction score
Fender used a head of a nail with a notch filed into it. It chips off really easy.
So this is really what I'm getting at - should I just worry about the tops of the frets using whatever method I come up with, and then let my next fret dress take care of the rest? (sounds like this is what Fender did)

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
Yes. That is what I would do. But likely, unless the frets were leveled before the neck was finished, they may need to be leveled anyways. At a minimum, you could take a rubber sanding block and some 1200 grit paper and hit the tops of the frets lightly. I know shops that do this as the starting steps for polishing frets that do not need to be leveled. 1200 will not take meat off the frets if done lightly, but would remove the finish (if its lacquer, as I am not familiar with other finishes).

Roxy13

Reaction score
The beveled Japanese knives that Philly Luthier carries get it off pretty easily.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
they sure didn't scrape the glop off the frets on my brand new '74 Stratocaster. I went for almost 30 years thinking that all maple necks were about as slippery as flypaper. Bastards :mad2:

Latest Threads