Remove dripped paint on Les Paul

afireinside

Reaction score
Doing my usual cruising on GC used and found a repaired headstock 2010 Traditional Pro Exclusive (How its listed at www.gibsontraditional.com) i.e. Trad pro #1. Was initially listed at $1299 w stock case, but once a employee sent pics of the repair no way.

Then i looked again this morning and they dropped it to $699! Nabbed it and will get it late next week.

But it has some random paint drips on the tuners, back of headstock, side and rear. Looks like they were painting the room without a dropcloth, dosent look its a intentional avant garde attempt. Hopefully its interior house latex and will peel off in large pieces. But if not any ideas? Naptha? I dont want to ruin the stock cherry burst (light burst) finish. Will be a nice beater!
Screenshot_20220624-180647_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220624-180705_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220624-180718_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220624-180727_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220624-085056.jpg

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Nice deal! You can get the acrylic off the tuners with a rag and a little lacquer thinner. Can't do that on the back, obviously, and lighter fluid probably won't work. Heat, and carefully PEEL it off?

I doubt it's bonded very tightly to the lacquer.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Lacquer thinner? On a nitro finish? Might as well use a blowtorch!

DON'T use lacquer thinner! That's TERRIBLE advice! Don't even get lacquer thinner NEAR it,
because Murphy's Law is real and you WILL get drips that will damage the lacquer.

The way to do this is to take a single edged razor blade and very slowly and carefully scrape away at the spilled paint and remove it slowly and carefully. Mask off the original finish with painter's masking tape, going right up to the spilled paint, to protect the finish from unnecessary scraping.

And then when it's all gone, repolish the area as needed.

Use gentle slow tools, not aggressive fast ones. Unless you plan to do a full refin anyway.

Roxy13

Reaction score
i fixed up my neighbor's strat that had latex paint drops everywhere and i got it all off just using naptha, which is safe for nitro. it was on the fretboard, body and hardware lol.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ya I wouldn’t get lacquer thinner near it. If you drip anything by accident….even the fumes getting it off the tuners might not be good!

On the tuners, the paint should come off with your finger nails.

On the body, use your fingernails or a razor to remove most of it but not to the body then use automotive scratchX similar light cut bidding compound.

WTF happened to that guitar LOL?

Dilver

Reaction score
Yup Naptha. Safe for nitro and it should come off easy. But I’d start by seeing if it just comes off by picking at it with your fingernail. If it’s household latex paint it shouldn’t have bonded with the nitro.

bum

Reaction score
I used a credit card as a scraper when I dripped a bit of paint on my wooden window sills, it worked well and the plastic won't scratch the paint easily.

searswashere

Reaction score
If you don't love the finish, that was such a deal you can probably swing a full refin and get it looking exactly how you want.

Brazilnut

Reaction score
Lacquer thinner? On a nitro finish? Might as well use a blowtorch!

DON'T use lacquer thinner! That's TERRIBLE advice! Don't even get lacquer thinner NEAR it,
because Murphy's Law is real and you WILL get drips that will damage the lacquer.

The way to do this is to take a single edged razor blade and very slowly and carefully scrape away at the spilled paint and remove it slowly and carefully. Mask off the original finish with painter's masking tape, going right up to the spilled paint, to protect the finish from unnecessary scraping.

And then when it's all gone, repolish the area as needed.

Use gentle slow tools, not aggressive fast ones. Unless you plan to do a full refin anyway.
No worries, mate! You didn't read what I said, did you?

Brazilnut

Reaction score
i fixed up my neighbor's strat that had latex paint drops everywhere and i got it all off just using naptha, which is safe for nitro. it was on the fretboard, body and hardware lol.
Lighter fluid actually attacks acrylic waterbased paint? Cool, Roxie! Thanks, I learned something new about paint there! That'll teach me to be such a know-it-all, hm?

JMP

Reaction score
That’s a deal! Nice score.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Trad Pro, and it is amazing. That guitar looks so UN-loved. Hopefully, when you get it, you can change all that.

as I was looking at the pictures, that Sarah mclaughlin animal abuse song came on as I thought about the life of this beautiful lester

in the arms of the angels lol

-chris

• Haha
Reactions: Who

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
In the arms of a devil
fly away…..from him….

cmjohnson

Reaction score
I was sure I'd edited that previous comment I made. Apparently it didn't take.

Yes, I saw exactly what was read. Yes, remove affected parts for separate cleaning, of course.

Still my advice stands. Don't even think of getting lacquer thinner near a nitro finished instrument. Take the parts off that have had paint spilled on them, clean them separately. Lacquer thinner won't harm a metal part but one drop on a nitro finish can make permanent scar on the finish. I've seen that happen.

BDW60

Reaction score
I cannot imagine anyone so lazy that they would paint around a guitar on a stand instead of just moving the guitar. Boggles the mind.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Lighter fluid actually attacks acrylic waterbased paint? Cool, Roxie! Thanks, I learned something new about paint there! That'll teach me to be such a know-it-all, hm?

It must have. As soon as it started coming off the fretboard, I just continued using it and when I was done you never would have known it had been there. It was a Fender MIJ body with an old Fender MIM neck with rosewood fb. Both body and neck were circa early 90s.

Reactions: Who

Brazilnut

Reaction score
It must have. As soon as it started coming off the fretboard, I just continued using it and when I was done you never would have known it had been there. It was a Fender MIJ body with an old Fender MIM neck with rosewood fb. Both body and neck were circa early 90s.
That was probably a urethane finish, right.? Sometimes called "poly?"

Latest Threads