"Remember, you're almost 40!"

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Our whole country is turning into one big, ugly reality TV show.

Every day when I wake up I think to myself, "Today can't be any more fucked up than yesterday." But, yes. Yes, it is. I honestly belive we are so numb to the bizarro shit that goes on every day, we don't really become shocked by anything, any longer.

The lowest common denominator has hit rock bottom, yet we continue to dig!

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score

The shows are scripted ... scripted controversy to sell views -- "Entertainment" for some.

Of course but some are off the wall crazy. We don't have TLC anymore since we got rid of cable, only watch Netflix and HBO. But one of the popular shows on TLC is 90 days fiancé. Man oh man.... Some of most crazy types of people I've seen on this show. Like Ed right here

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

The shows are scripted ... scripted controversy to sell views -- "Entertainment" for some.

To what extent can I believe Adam Ruins Everything?
Adam Ruins Everything is a bunch of snarky opinion pieces, written by some handsome and funny young people, all of whom completely lack any STEM training whatsoever.

The show is produced in the following manner.

Adam reads a vaguely sort of scientific article on some web site, that happens to have a fantastic or sensational bent to it.
The show’s writing team reviews the article. They are like, yup, this article exists all right.
The team rewrites the content of the article to be more breathless, and more clicky and upvotey.
The show is produced, with the article presented as a “source.”
So why should the show not be believed?

Adam and his team have no idea whether the sources he quotes are credible. A cryptologist is quoted as an expert on airport security and medicine. Adam is happy to quote no specific expert at all, if it helps him tell a specific story.
The writers report the scariest or most exciting elements of their stories, and don’t bother to tell you the relevant but less exciting parts of the stories. For example: The TSA failed to detect people boarding planes with terrorist weapons, 95% of the time! The part Adam doesn’t tell you: those people worked for the TSA itself, and the TSA changed its procedures to catch people who do that.
Adam’s team can’t tell the difference between fact and opinion. “We have expensive housing for people, and free parking for cars. We have our priorities the wrong way around.” Sure, it’s an opinion by a UCLA professor, but it’s clearly an opinion.
The writers make boneheaded research errors. As one example: Socrates is quoted as saying “[The written word] will create forgetfulness in the learner’s souls.” Except that quote wasn’t written by Socrates. It was a fiction about Socrates, written by Plato. A thirty-second reference check, even if you don’t know the difference between Plato and Socrates. How about the Empire State Building: Adam tells us it’s 12,000 feet tall! Except it’s not. He’s off by an order of magnitude. Wikipedia, fer Chrissakes.
Lastly, and most importantly, the show is written entirely by comedy writers. Not a single hard-science expert anywhere on the production crew. No peer-reviewed sources, no meta-studies, none of the rigor of an academic or technical journal. Which is a damned shame, because actual peer-reviewed scientists have some incredible and terrifying things to say. Shout out to The Conversation in particular, for publishing exciting articles written with technical and academic rigor.

JTM45

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It amazes me that people will put themselves out there like that for a little money and a little publicity, what baffles me even more are the people that are dedicated to watching it and think it’s real life. They have a long road in front of them and life is going to be tough for them

Guy Named Sue

Reaction score
It amazes me that people will put themselves out there like that for a little money and a little publicity, what baffles me even more are the people that are dedicated to watching it and think it’s real life. They have a long road in front of them and life is going to be tough for them
That is not what William Wallace fought for!! Now tv has taken our lives and freedom.

05jrock

Reaction score
Its all for the likes in instagram

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
To what extent can I believe Adam Ruins Everything?
Adam Ruins Everything is a bunch of snarky opinion pieces, written by some handsome and funny young people, all of whom completely lack any STEM training whatsoever.

The show is produced in the following manner.

Adam reads a vaguely sort of scientific article on some web site, that happens to have a fantastic or sensational bent to it.
The show’s writing team reviews the article. They are like, yup, this article exists all right.
The team rewrites the content of the article to be more breathless, and more clicky and upvotey.
The show is produced, with the article presented as a “source.”
So why should the show not be believed?

Adam and his team have no idea whether the sources he quotes are credible. A cryptologist is quoted as an expert on airport security and medicine. Adam is happy to quote no specific expert at all, if it helps him tell a specific story.
The writers report the scariest or most exciting elements of their stories, and don’t bother to tell you the relevant but less exciting parts of the stories. For example: The TSA failed to detect people boarding planes with terrorist weapons, 95% of the time! The part Adam doesn’t tell you: those people worked for the TSA itself, and the TSA changed its procedures to catch people who do that.
Adam’s team can’t tell the difference between fact and opinion. “We have expensive housing for people, and free parking for cars. We have our priorities the wrong way around.” Sure, it’s an opinion by a UCLA professor, but it’s clearly an opinion.
The writers make boneheaded research errors. As one example: Socrates is quoted as saying “[The written word] will create forgetfulness in the learner’s souls.” Except that quote wasn’t written by Socrates. It was a fiction about Socrates, written by Plato. A thirty-second reference check, even if you don’t know the difference between Plato and Socrates. How about the Empire State Building: Adam tells us it’s 12,000 feet tall! Except it’s not. He’s off by an order of magnitude. Wikipedia, fer Chrissakes.
Lastly, and most importantly, the show is written entirely by comedy writers. Not a single hard-science expert anywhere on the production crew. No peer-reviewed sources, no meta-studies, none of the rigor of an academic or technical journal. Which is a damned shame, because actual peer-reviewed scientists have some incredible and terrifying things to say. Shout out to The Conversation in particular, for publishing exciting articles written with technical and academic rigor.
Y U angry bro? :rofl:

scott1970

Reaction score
Ordinarily I’d watch the clip in this thread, but I’m still dealing with having finally watched an episode of Duck Dynasty. I’m still way too skittish for any reality TV right now.

Latest Threads