Remember when!.........

NRBQ

Reaction score
Here's my era...

My era saw the transition of toys being made from sturdy materials like metal, to cheaply made plastic toys. Sigh, the story of my life, beginning of Gen X we got the end of every era there was to end in life.

Superelastic Bubble Plastic
Habbitrail
Photomat
Rollerskating on Friday night
Newly created toys for Star Trek in 1973
One cock Daisey bb gun, not a 10 pump Crossman, thanks to dear old Dad.
A silver jacket with a stripe just like Burt Rynolds had in Hooper or whatever movie it was.
Carvel Ice Cream with commercials by Tom Carvel.
Alva Skateboard, Tracker Trucks, Cryptonic Wheels, two skateboard parks on Long Island in the 70's.
13 Foot Boston Whaler with a 40 horse Evenrude.
The Sears Christmas WISHBOOK!!!
The Brady Bunch Variety Hour with very own pool.
My Dads 71 Grand Prix with a 400 small block V8.
Billie Blakes
Pro Ked Sneakers / Puma Clyde
Parka Jackets with fake fur hood lining.
Timberland Boot/ Herman Survivor Boots
Church on Sundays, fresh hot Bagels from the Bagel Bin right after.
My sisters yellow Pinto, my other sisters white Pinto and the sloppy Blue Maverick.
Station Wagons with wood paneling stickers.
Wonderama on Sundays. The New Zoo Review.
The CB Radio craze, everyone had one in their house.
^ One time I was in my Dads car on the CB radio talking dirty to a girl, turns out they could hear me on the phone inside, BUSTED! Ooops.
Bruce Lee and hitting trees with sticks, because boards don't hit back.
Jarts
ISIS was a Saturday morning tv show about a chick with special powers.
Pet Rocks and sand aquariums.
Rodney Allen Rippey
Grape Ape and Beegly Beegly
Jordash designer jeans, the female body never looked quite like that before, but AFTER, now we're livin.
White people Afro perms, see my sister.

Last edited:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I remember when you could get you a pizza slice for 75¢ and can of soda for 25¢.

I remember going down to the local A&W and getting a gallon-jug of root beer for a buck. My sis and I would split the cost, and the root beer ... though I'm sure she snuck a little in the middle of the night.

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
imagesCAHPL5YL.jpg

GREATEST TOY EVER!!!!

I remember Mom pulling into the Esso station (pre-Exxon) and going to the full service island, and getting a dollars worth of gas. The gauge would go to a half tank in our 72 Pontiac LeMans with the Enduro front end (think GTO) and 3 on the tree (dad was a little cheap) and 8-track deck.

NRBQ

Reaction score
View attachment 273704
GREATEST TOY EVER!!!!

I remember Mom pulling into the Esso station (pre-Exxon) and going to the full service island, and getting a dollars worth of gas. The gauge would go to a half tank in our 72 Pontiac LeMans with the Enduro front end (think GTO) and 3 on the tree (dad was a little cheap) and 8-track deck.

I had that toy, and eventually his camper. That was a great toy. Besides abusing the toy I can also remember my friends and I setting up ramp to ramp jumps to see who had the record like Evil. Eventually rubber Evil's wire metal skeleton would break off on all the limbs and he was less posable. And it was almost over by the time we started jumping it off of roofs and the like.

kiko

Reaction score
Thanks OP for thanking me down memory lane! Man I'm old! :)

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
I had that toy, and eventually his camper. That was a great toy. Besides abusing the toy I can also remember my friends and I setting up ramp to ramp jumps to see who had the record like Evil. Eventually rubber Evil's wire metal skeleton would break off on all the limbs and he was less posable. And it was almost over by the time we started jumping it off of roofs and the like.

I had the van, too. From my room, down the hall, past the bathroom and my brothers room, through the dining room and into the wall next to the telephone. If you got REALLY lucky, Evel and bike would do a flip during the jump over the van. In the springtime and summer, we would jump Evel off the side porch. I can also say that celebrating the 4th of July by having Evel hold a sparkler while doing a wheelie does not end well for Evel. Those burns would have proven fatal. :facepalm:

Frogfur

Reaction score
Someone asked the other day, 'What was your favourite 'fast food' when you were growing up?'
'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him.
'All the food was slow.'

‘C'mon, seriously ... Where did you eat?'
'It was a place called 'home,'' I explained.

'Mum cooked every day , we sat down together at the dining room table,
And if I didn't like what she put on my plate, I was allowed to sit there until I did like it.'
By this time, the lad was laughing so hard I was afraid he was going to suffer serious internal damage, so I didn't tell him the part about how I had to have permission to leave the table.
But here are some other things I would have told him about my childhood if I'd figured his system could have handled it:

Some parents NEVER owned their own house, wore jeans, set foot on a golf course, travelled out of the country or had a credit card.
My parents never drove me to school ...I walked.
We didn't have a television in our house until I was 28.
It was, of course, black and white, and the station went off the air at 10 PM, after playing the national anthem and epilogue; it came back on the air at about 12 noon.
Pizzas were not delivered to our home ... But milk and Coal was.
All newspapers were delivered by boys and all boys delivered newspapers — I delivered a newspaper, seven days a week. I had to get up at 5.30 every morning except Sunday when I had a lie-in until 6.30.

Film stars kissed with their mouths shut. At least, they did in the films. There were no movie ratings because all movies were responsibly produced for everyone to enjoy viewing, without profanity or violence or almost anything offensive.
If you grew up in a generation before there was fast food, you may want to share some of these memories with your children or grandchildren. Just don't blame me if they bust a gut laughing.
Growing up isn't what it used to be, is it?
MEMORIES from a friend:

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died recently) and he brought me an old lemonade bottle.
In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea.
She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?
Headlight dip-switches on the floor of the car.
Ignition switches on the dashboard.
Trouser leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.
Soldering irons you heated on a gas burner
Using hand signals for cars without turn indicators.
1. Sweet cigarettes
2... Coffee shops with juke boxes
3 .. Home milk delivery in glass bottles
4... Party lines on the telephone
5.. Newsreels before the movie
6. TV test cards that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning.
(There were only 2 channels [if you were fortunate] )
7.. Peashooters
8. 33 rpm records & 78s
9. 45 rpm records
10. Hi-fis
11. Metal ice trays with levers
12. Blue flashbulb
13. Cork popguns
14.Wash tub wringers
If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age
If you remembered 11-14 = You're positively ancient! :thumbs:

Guys my age, or older would have a hell of a time listing everything. The life you mentioned above was exactly what life was like back in the 50s and 60s.
We didnt have a key to the front door. You were expected to be home at a cretain time. You were expected to be at the table at supper time, and you were.

You didn't get to lay around, on Saturdays you took out the garbage, dug weeds and mowed the lawn before you could cut out for the day and go do something.

Kids lay around on their ass today staring at an electronic device..
That is going to all play out later, but for now, its making us dumber and dumber everyday.

Online is the new world for some.
And its true for me to a degree as well, but i am retired. I have all the rime in the world to do what i please. Kids are all working, grand kids in school etc. so i can if i want to.
The big difderence for us old dogs, and the younger generation is, we all know how it use to be, and spent the better part of our lives without all this electronics where we actually went out, hooked up and had fun interacting with everyone else. You didnt need a phone, a tablet or anything like that. Just had fun with friends, face to face. Not online.

When Betty was alive, i didn't spend anytime online. I spent my time with her. Everyday, all day. I don't have that any more.
I wish badly I did.

Last edited:

Latest Threads