Remember when!.........

truckermde

Reaction score
Yeah, I remember that stuff.

My wife's only eleven years younger than me, but she just can't relate, and probably remembers none of it.

KTM

Reaction score
I hated when the dimmer switch would stick or freeze down and your high beams were on. Sometimes you could pry it up with your toe if you were lucky. This mostly happen to me on the 1969 GMC Suburban that my parents had that I drove when I first got my license. It would happen in the summer from sand and in the winter from the snow that would melt and refreeze.

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My grandfather was a milkman. Used to love to go into his delivery truck and get those little ice creams with the flat wooden spoons.
Other things I remember -
Skateboards and roller skates with metal wheels. Skinned knees and elbows because only a wimpy kid would dare to wear pads. Hell, I don't even know if they'd been invented yet.
Transistor radios that only got AM and had a sh#tty ear plug.
Girls had to wear skirts or dresses to school, except on designated pants days.
Fallout shelters and practicing duck & cover in school when the air raid sirens went off on Mondays.
Slot car racing - we had a few public tracks near us
Cheap concert tickets - I think I paid about $15 for front seats at a Who concert

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
Do any of y'all remember the second generation of television remote controls (kids were the first generation!)? We had an old Zenith that clicked. One day, my Dad dropped a small handful of change, and the TV changed channels. Took us about 15 minutes to figure out that the sound of 2 quarters would change the channel!

JonCanfield

Random Yahoo
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do any of y'all remember the second generation of television remote controls (kids were the first generation!)? We had an old Zenith that clicked. One day, my Dad dropped a small handful of change, and the TV changed channels. Took us about 15 minutes to figure out that the sound of 2 quarters would change the channel!
Yes! Also remember when we had a TV antenna that you could move by clicking a dial in the house. Had to turn it to get some of the channels (I think we had all of 4 or 5 channels at the time)

Nard

Reaction score

My mate was chuffed to bits when he was telling me they were buying a tv with remote so they wouldn’t have to get up to change channels. It was a little box with two buttons and a short cable that didn’t reach anyone’s seat so they still had to get up just to pick the remote up. We laughed about that one.

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm 60...

I remember waiting for dark to come so I could listen to WLS...

I remember when Push-Up ice cream first showed up.

Rat bastid Three Musketeers candy bar was the first to go to a dime. Don't allow em in my house even now...

Baby Ruth had two bars, 5¢ and 10¢...

Zero Bar (the best) was the last to go to a dime and was like a white brick. Loved em...

Half ton Orange Crush bottles...

Big ass Chilly Dilly pickles and licorice bricks at the theatre.

POS window speakers at the drive-in...

A&W Root Beer stands...

Oysters on the half shell were 25¢/doz all day long...

Chandlers Burgers, Tastee Freez, Sambo's, Burger Inn, HoJo, Big Boy, Stuckeys ...

Popcorn machine at Elmores 5¢ & 10¢...

Short Coke was 5¢, tall was a dime... Fresca had pulp stuff in it...

Country Club shorty cans, Falstaff, Ripple...

Salad bars showed up in restaurants for some odd reason....

All you can eat theme restaurants showed up...

You went to the pizza place and picked up your own damn pie...

ALL BBQ places were badass as they were old school local folks...

Any momma or granny in the neighborhood would mondo get on that ass for doing stupid...then call yo momma or granny so you got chewed again when you got home... Everybody knew everybody...

Somebody got too sick to do anything for a bit and all kinds of cooked food would show up regular, grass would be cut, etc., some by folks that weren't close neighbors... Just was....

Anybody that didn't belong in the neighborhood would get challenged by somebody and asked why they were there.....

Floats at the drug store...

Damn rat bastid pain in the ass roller washing machine...

"Pull bottle" drink machines outside our little one register grocery store...

Cut a couple of yards, crate/stack drink bottles outside, stock shelves inside grocery store on Sat morning and make enough money to go to the Sat afternoon dbl at theatre, Chilly Dilly, licorice, Milk Duds, popcorn, big drink, and sometimes a Castleberry's BBQ sandwich (50¢) depending on how generous the groc store owner was feeling that Sat morning... All of that was probably under three bucks, including ticket...

First 'real' job at ten yrs old was pumping gas a couple blocks from the house. Fun trying to find the gas caps at first... I think gas was twenty something cents a gallon... Cash register (mechanical) that you had to punch multiple numbers simultaneously and then pull crank...
Columns were order of magnitude... 100 10 1 . 10 01 High tech stuff...

Those were the days...

fett

I can see for miles and smiles.
Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I remember the value of a dollar. I remember when $3 could buy you a plastic model to build. That was a big deal for me. We loved models. The Cars. What great times. The days when real cars and hot rods and custom cars were produced in plastic.

S. Rock

Reaction score
I lived through all 14 on that list. my Grandmother(dad's mom) had an old wringer washing machine. she washed every Monday and used rain water she collected in washtubs to rinse the clothes.

redjunior

Bozo since 2016.. Gak!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remember when the TV set was 4 foot wide and you opened up the two doors on the top, one side was a 14 inch BW screen and the other was where the turntable for the mono hifi was.
This looked like ours.
admiral1.jpg

fett

I can see for miles and smiles.
Platinum Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I remember my Granny, born 1900. She was a master cook. Her ability to do anything food-wise always amazed me as a kid. My visits with my grandparents were beyond special. I never went to the Fair due to timing. She sent me all the Ribbons she won. Yikes!!

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember when you could get you a pizza slice for 75¢ and can of soda for 25¢.

NRBQ

Reaction score
We use to get a full set of glasses with a gas fill-up.

Well you didn't get a full set of glasses with a fill up, what you got was one glass to add to your building collection. Fill up 10 times and you have 10 glasses. We used to have a full set of old school Jets and Giants rock glasses from Esso. I still have one Jets glass left, and someday when or if they make it to the SuperBowl I'll bring it out for the game, if they lose the glass gets smashed, if they WIN then it's on baby.

HeartString

>>>RSIYH<<<
Reaction score
Well you didn't get a full set of glasses with a fill up, what you got was one glass to add to your building collection. Fill up 10 times and you have 10 glasses. We used to have a full set of old school Jets and Giants rock glasses from Esso. I still have one Jets glass left, and someday when or if they make it to the SuperBowl I'll bring it out for the game, if they lose the glass gets smashed, if they WIN then it's on baby.

Sweet!!!

Latest Threads