Relocating

zeronalo

Reaction score
The wife and I are out of here in 5 year + maybe less.

We just did a road trip in the northwest and she's in love with Bend Oregon maybe Ashland. I want to look around more before I make up my mind. I was voting for Austin but she's not into the heat.

My must haves for an area:

a decent music scene - not country

low crime

low taxes - Hawaii is crazy on taxes

close to things to do - movie, good places to eat, maybe an hour or less from a good sized city etc

6+ months of non winter

not in the northeast, Florida or California

I need room so 5 acres or so and affordable prices. Coming from Hawaii I think it's all going to look affordable.

I do allot of road trips and traveling so I may go check out your suggestions.

It's a big step since both of us have lived here almost all our lives and in the same house for 24 years but when it takes you 45 minutes to go 10 miles to go get some food it's bullshit. Too many people on the rock already and most of them can't drive worth a shit.

I'm ready to move on

Aloha
Freddy

Blues4U

Reaction score
Freddy---

I have unoffically put in notice at my place of employment, and will do so officially this week-

We are going to move from the Mid West (Indiana) and go SOMEWHERE in this great country of ours-

We spent a week in Oregon and Washington in March and we loved the area---Not sure if I will end up there or not, but we want to be someplace close to the mountains or the sea---or both-

Good luck---

zeronalo

Reaction score
ha - I'm in the mountains with an ocean view - love the place.

Just too many people and our government is fukked. They raise taxes somehow every year.

a couple years ago they passed a millionaire's tax but it starts for couple's making over $250k - that's good money but in the land of $600k homes and $8 a gallon milk it's not going to go as far. My registration on a ford ranger is $400 a year and we have the worst roads in the nation..................frustrating so time to figure out how to get out of here.

alohas

DLChance

Reaction score
Denton, TX.

It's been said that within ten years Denton will be everything that Austin was in its heyday. The economy is healthy, there are lots of new state-of-the-art healthcare facilities and it has one of the best universities in Texas.

It's located at the edge of thousands of square miles of agricultural land broken up with patches of forest, and it's an hour's drive to anywhere in the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex.

I was back there for a gig over Mother's Day weekend, and it's just as charming as it was when I lived just outside of town in the late 1980s; it's just bigger and has more businesses.

It could use a Guitar Center, and I expect it'll get one before very long.

Check it out.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As much as I am annoyed by the politics of Hawaii, it's still Hawaii. I'd deal with the bullshit if I had a tiki bar. :D

leftyguitarman

Reaction score
$8 for a gallon of milk? My god, I would be bankrupt. I drink over half a gallon a day. :shock:

I live in Washington, born and raised, and of all the places I've been in the world, western Washington is great. From my house I can see the salt water, some islands and the Olympic Mountain range on a nice day. I have a 10 minute drive to the water and anywhere from 20 to 45 minutes to the mountains. There's not six months of winter, but there's more than six months of rain.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Good luck Freddy! I had no idea it was like that in Hawaii.

zeronalo

Reaction score
Thanks - It's still a great place to live but I see it going downhill. Time to move on and make some new friends. Hopefully the market is good and we can sell at a good price. I would be able to pay cash for a home and have zero debt. With that I could go work at Guitar Center and bullshit about guitars all day everyday. not to mention try out all the toys.

I think the one thing that gets me the most is just all the people. The roads are starting to be packed at times you wouldn't expect and going into Honolulu is just a pain in the ass. I guess any big city is like that but it's getting bad.

hell last night the wife and I paid $70 for one bag of groceries and didn't even have any booze in it (or milk) just some veggies, strawberries, chicken thighs and some ham. I couldn't believe it all fit into one bag. The guy have made me feel better and used 2 bags just for the hell of it.

we still have the best beaches in the world and the air is clean, the people are pretty nice and there's almost no violent crime just meth heads stealing stuff not nailed down occasionally.

Denton Texas huh? Gonna have to check that out.

aloha

zeronalo

Reaction score
This is the view walking up my driveway - the building in front is my warehouse and office - I have an agricultural business so the container, forklift etc. Behind that is 9 acres and our house.

zeronalo-albums-stuff-picture48273-iphone-030.jpg

it's a beautiful place to live and will be hard to leave.

aloha
Freddy

zeronalo

Reaction score
Oh yeah - and this will be hard to leave too. I can't touch, the wife would kill me, but any trip to any beach and the scenery is spectacular. The local women are some of the best anywhere.

zeronalo-albums-stuff-picture48274-001.jpg

aloha

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The family and I have our eyes on North Carolina, not quite what you're looking for I'm sure, just know there are several of us out and about on MLP looking to do the same thing.

I will say that Northwestern Arkansas is actually a great place for cheap acreage, decent weather, and low crime.

Can't speak for much else than that. I've been warned away from Oklahoma though. :laugh2:

zeronalo

Reaction score
The family and I have our eyes on North Carolina, not quite what you're looking for I'm sure, just know there are several of us out and about on MLP looking to do the same thing.

I will say that Northwestern Arkansas is actually a great place for cheap acreage, decent weather, and low crime.

Can't speak for much else than that. I've been warned away from Oklahoma though. :laugh2:

I would consider parts of North Carolina - I lived in Gastonia when I was very young. I think 3rd grade. The down side is it's within easy driving distance of my family. In Hawaii they aren't just going to drop in one day. The closer I get to the north east the more likely I am to see them. and I don't want that to happen. I loaned them all some money they never paid back so that keeps the contact to a minimum. When they do call I just ask about my money and they usually cut the conversation short and don't call again for a while.

aloha

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The wife and I are out of here in 5 year + maybe less.

We just did a road trip in the northwest and she's in love with Bend Oregon maybe Ashland. I want to look around more before I make up my mind. I was voting for Austin but she's not into the heat.

My must haves for an area:

a decent music scene - not country

low crime

low taxes - Hawaii is crazy on taxes

close to things to do - movie, good places to eat, maybe an hour or less from a good sized city etc

6+ months of non winter

not in the northeast, Florida or California

I need room so 5 acres or so and affordable prices. Coming from Hawaii I think it's all going to look affordable.

I do allot of road trips and traveling so I may go check out your suggestions.

It's a big step since both of us have lived here almost all our lives and in the same house for 24 years but when it takes you 45 minutes to go 10 miles to go get some food it's bullshit. Too many people on the rock already and most of them can't drive worth a shit.

I'm ready to move on

Aloha
Freddy

I lived in Ashland Oregon for 4 years, you would love it
there, Bend is nice also.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
I'd start with the states that have no income tax (NH, FL, TX, AK, TN, SD, NV, WA and WY). You ruled out FL and NH (although NH has beautiful summers along the coast and hundreds of lakes and can be within 30-90 mins of Logan airport) and AK (too cold). No offense to anyone in SD, but the topography is uninspiring and there are no major airports (have to connect through Denver or Detroit for everything). Though, there is excellent Pheasant hunting in SD. That leaves us with NV, TN, TX, WA & WY. Coming from HI, do you really want to be completely landlocked? If you want to be near the ocean, that leaves coastal TX and WA. WA is Pacific Rim which might make you and Mrs. Zeronalo more at home. There are some nice places not too far from SeaTac (Seattle-Tacoma Airport) that can allow space without being too far from a major city. Beautiful, lush green Pacific vistas, etc.

zeronalo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips.

did I mention our electricity is 3 times higher than the national average? $.34 per KWH. I think my friend in eastern washington pays about $.05

alohas

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Once you move, you'll have to change your aloha sig.

napsak

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not really sure that Bend is an hour drive from any major city in the State of Oregon. If I'm not mistaken Bend is a little over 3 hours from Portland, Over 2 hours from Eugene and about 2 + hours away from Salem. All mountainous drives which may further increase your travel time. Especially during our winter months.

Good luck with your endeavor to find a new homestead and may all of your dreams come true.

Latest Threads