Relicing attempts.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Not sure if this should be here or in the custom shop, but if anyone has any pictures of relicing attempts they've done, I'd like to see them. My first ever attempt was on a 60$ p bass no name copy that belonged to my buddy. I used two methods which I half way created myself. At least one of them I did. The other one I gathered inspiration from but altered the technique. Show em to me, I wanna see! I'll post my pics too.

Davey Rock

Reaction score
Reactions: BKS

Roxy13

Reaction score
I just buy old guitars that have it honestly :rofl:

My body chemisty won't even tarnish gold. So all my newer guitars still look close to pristine.

GoldTopJunkie

Reaction score
8FADE5E4-0396-487D-9DEC-EA30B7F9827F.jpeg

this was an attempt at an SRV #1. This was a MIM body that was covered in poly. Do not attempt to relic over poly!

BBF3A163-575C-48B8-BE60-86D237E1EE24.jpg

this is an old Epiphone SG I got with a broken heel. I stripped the poly, painted and reliced it. Removing the poly helped the process a lot.
C3F75E01-D011-4FF9-AD9C-990C8508270B.jpeg

This is an actual Harmony partscaster. I got the neck (early 70’s still all maple, not the wood strips) the body is an early 80’s Harmony. The body was painted a cream yellow and had blemishes everywhere. I accentuated what was there and added a little more. The paint was like a spray paint, easy to relic.
6E861C3D-CF43-4857-9BBB-9694968D84C5.jpeg

There’s a build thread on here about this one.
01ACD324-1143-4252-83A9-9EB3DC4C53BC.jpeg

this one is a Charvel body with an AllParts neck. I bought the body first and couldn’t find the neck I was looking for so I ordered one. The guitar had a clear coat over the wood so the paint is over the clear coat. The Floyd rose is decked but the string height is so low, I don’t want to mess with it lol!!

I’ve done many more that this, these are just what’s on my phone.

jkes01

Reaction score
Checking and play wear on poly always looks like, well, someone tried to relic a poly finish. Stripping and respraying with lacquer gives you a much better chance, but that is a huge investment in time and effort.

I think it’s just impossible to get something to look like this with razor blades and shoe polish. My buddy at work’s vintage Gibson I worked on. It felt like alligator skin.

uwannadon

Reaction score
This is my Vintage Icon V1 that came reliced however I did the metal and went too far with the pupcovers man that etching fluid works quickly
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1579814481331.jpeg

Davey Rock

Reaction score
View attachment 494272
this was an attempt at an SRV #1. This was a MIM body that was covered in poly. Do not attempt to relic over poly!

View attachment 494273

this is an old Epiphone SG I got with a broken heel. I stripped the poly, painted and reliced it. Removing the poly helped the process a lot. View attachment 494274
This is an actual Harmony partscaster. I got the neck (early 70’s still all maple, not the wood strips) the body is an early 80’s Harmony. The body was painted a cream yellow and had blemishes everywhere. I accentuated what was there and added a little more. The paint was like a spray paint, easy to relic.
View attachment 494275
There’s a build thread on here about this one.
View attachment 494276
this one is a Charvel body with an AllParts neck. I bought the body first and couldn’t find the neck I was looking for so I ordered one. The guitar had a clear coat over the wood so the paint is over the clear coat. The Floyd rose is decked but the string height is so low, I don’t want to mess with it lol!!

I’ve done many more that this, these are just what’s on my phone.
The p bass copy is actually hand brushed poly! However it does indeed suck to relic and is difficult to get it right and good. The only reason the bass looks even acceptable is because I razor blade scraped along the edges (mimicking binding scraping or faux binding scraping) to look like rubbed off over the years and the other thing I did was literally spray the dang body with engine cleaner, and a bunch of other sprays that are extremely flammable. Soaked it down, then set it ablaze. I like this method because the fire is burning the fumes of the chemicals, not the body it's self, and effects the body depending on the angle you tilt it. If you start the fire on the face of the guitar and turn it sideways, the half the body will be very relicy. Sounds bad to say out loud but it actually makes since with some of these pictures.

jvin248

Reaction score

The most important piece of a relic guitar: make sure it plays easy.

This guitar had a lot of relic to it when it was thrown in on another guitar trade, "hey, you want this too? I don't have any use for it", sure said I. Frets were unplayable and why the guitar had been bashed and scraped and 'keyed' and rattle-canned by a whole series of prior owners. I did a fret level job on it, new correctly cut nut, and a good setup so it plays easy now.

Second most important piece of a relic guitar: make sure it feels worn-in and satin -- not a spiny cactus of wood slivers, jagged chipped paint, and metal burr nicks. Go for the broken-in-jeans-right-out-of-the-dryer feel. This guitar needed all that attention too.

It is though, the reverse of the typical wear patterns most observe. This is a heat map I put together of Fender Custom Shop Heavy Relics a few years back.

Now Fender released for 2020 a class called "Super Heavy Relic".

moreles

Reaction score
here's my latest whiteguard tele, I'll get more pics up soon, it is based on a real 59 esquire I looked at a few months ago
This is the only relic I have seen in quite some time that I find at all convincing. You have simulated hard wear and minor damage while managing to retain large areas of worn but not clobbererd surface, and thus the guitar, and not a ridiculous overload of crap effects, is what we see. Very nice. IMO, a rare exception to the obvious/excessive/unbelievable norm.

valvetoneman

Reaction score
This is the only relic I have seen in quite some time that I find at all convincing. You have simulated hard wear and minor damage while managing to retain large areas of worn but not clobbererd surface, and thus the guitar, and not a ridiculous overload of crap effects, is what we see. Very nice. IMO, a rare exception to the obvious/excessive/unbelievable norm.
Well anyone who knows me and my work will get the fact I hate shit ageing, I get the artistic rubbish but it's not based on anything realistic, it's not about fooling anyone just that it looks right, the esquire I looked at had more wear than mine but I think less is more, this stuff takes much longer to do and one reason why I don't make money like the big boys, I don't build that many per year either

Latest Threads