Relic'ing A rosewood fingerboard

kevinpaul

Reaction score
Needs a new nut, I am putting roller nuts on all my Strats. All Parts has the ones you just install. The other want them screwed on.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Needs a new nut, I am putting roller nuts on all my Strats. All Parts has the ones you just install. The other want them screwed on.
Are those roller nuts direct replacement? Or is there additional cutting involved?

FLICKOFLASH

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I want some advice on how to do it & how to do it to look correctly. Stevie neck I found some close ups is basically scalloped from play wear

Neck looks too new.I plan to refret .

Last edited by a moderator:

moreles

Reaction score
You really want to create some grooving in the fingerboard? I don't know anyone who finds that to be anything but an undesirable reduction of playability, and it's usually fixed during a refret. It's your guitar, but the idea seems to me to prioritize cosmetics over function, which I just don't understand at all.

ajory72

Reaction score
Are those roller nuts direct replacement? Or is there additional cutting involved?
From my experience you'd have to modify the space for it to go in slightly for fit.
I thought about it on a couple of my guitars [tele/strat] but find the camel bone nutz I use seem to self lubricate [they are unbleached and feel greasy] and if cut properly lets the string glide on through. I have no issues with my 80's strat going out of tune.

[Love the Rory Gallagher looking strat in this thread - very nice work :)]

chasenblues

Reaction score
The resemblance is uncanny..

Last edited by a moderator:

Mustard Caps

Reaction score
I wouldn't much with th fretboard on purpose. Play the crap out of it, and the wear will come.

If you like, Relic the crap out of the body but beware if you start mucking around with the board.

Heres my 71 x 4 bolt Strat neck. Its 1 owner.

Last year I sent it to Tommy at USA Custom Guitars, and they copied it to Maple Cap for another Partscaster I'm amassing parts for.

The frets are also so flat in places Tommy asked if it had been refretted before with different frets, and I said no.

I eventually intend to send it to Glaser Instruments for a refret ect.

But if you go mucking around with the board, its easy to compromise the fret seating stability, and good intonation all over the board due to uneven wear/board x grooves over the neck.

From what little I know most of the time they refretted SRV #1 they also reradiused the board, the frets wouldn't seat correctly, and eventually the neck was not usable.

Sorry for the bad pics. The wear is also more, than the pics from my cheap camera reveal.

Yes that is an Earvana Nut. Yes I like it, and have them on all my guitars, except my 82 x 62 Fullerton Reissue Strat.

ajory72

Reaction score
Chasen ... no where does this thread say its an SRV replica - the bridge is for a right handed strat - Like Rory's - in later years so much paint had come of his Rory's strat it looked very similar to SRV's.... hence my comment above. ..

PS: I love the OP's work, its outstanding.
Chasens work - not so much :)

moreles

Reaction score
I love Earvana nuts. On some of my guitars, I get the Earvana dialed in and then reproduce it in bone and install that. Fantastic.

Big John

Drink more, you'll sound better
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Notched straight edge, adhesive back sandpaper, pin striping brush, and some fretboard oil should do the trick.