Refretting with Jescar 57110 ( opinions)

fendrix

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I’m getting my Les Paul refretted with Jescar 57110 jumbo wire. The frets I’m replacing have a width of 2.7mm or 0.106 inches vs the Jescar’s wich are 2.79mm wide or 0.110 inches.

Do you guys think that the small increase in width between the two is going to change the tone or playability of the guitar?

I went with the 57110 as they were the closest in size to the Sanko wire I’m replacing.

I mainly play lead but I also play a lot of rhythm guitar and clean chords and this is my only guitar.

So I would love to hear your opinions on wether you think chords and rhythm guitar in general can sound great with jumbo frets or wether you think I made a bad choice.

Many thanks in advance!

jvin248

Reaction score

You're doomed. ... :shock:

That wire size change won't matter. You'll only find your playing improves because the strings are no longer falling in worn out pot holes.

You are getting stainless right? That's what I'd do anyway.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My Strat came with 57110s and they definitely take some getting used to. They were a lot of fun for lead right out of the gate due to the ease of bending on them, but rapid chord changes can be tricky at first (I have big hands/fingers and found myself getting hung up). If you're already used to the Sanko wire it may not be a problem for you, but they were a big step up for me. I really like them now.

fendrix

Reaction score

You're doomed. ... :shock:

That wire size change won't matter. You'll only find your playing improves because the strings are no longer falling in worn out pot holes.

You are getting stainless right? That's what I'd do anyway.

Haha thanks man. No, I’m going with nickel 18%, I have never played SS frets but I just prefer nickel in every comparison I have heard on Youtube.. I would love to play them in person tho and make my own conclusions some day.

Last edited:

fendrix

Reaction score
My Strat came with 57110s and they definitely take some getting used to. They were a lot of fun for lead right out of the gate due to the ease of bending on them, but rapid chord changes can be tricky at first (I have big hands/fingers and found myself getting hung up). If you're already used to the Sanko wire it may not be a problem for you, but they were a big step up for me. I really like them now.
Thanks for the feedback. The sankos are wide but very low and fall in the medium jumbo category anyway. However G&L calls the 57110 medium jumbo too :hmm:

My main concern is with bare chords. The few times I played tall jumbos there was always a note that sounded bad.. I have a light touch I just don’t know if it’s realistic to expect great sounding chords with 6100 frets.

matttornado

Reaction score
I'm re-fretting my 1980 LP standard with Jescar 45100's right now. My guitar originally had the same size wide frets that were worn to death. I actually didn't like the wide frets too much so I chose frets that are a little more narrow.

The 45100's are a medium jumbo & I believe are what Gibson is using now. I'm not into stainless steel frets. I had a Warmoth maple neck with them and it was way too bright for me. Maybe on a Gibson with a rosewood or ebony fretboard, it would still sound ok?
IMG_1539.jpg

fendrix

Reaction score
I'm re-fretting my 1980 LP standard with Jescar 45100's right now. My guitar originally had the same size wide frets that were worn to death. I actually didn't like the wide frets too much so I chose frets that are a little more narrow.

The 45100's are a medium jumbo & I believe are what Gibson is using now. I'm not into stainless steel frets. I had a Warmoth maple neck with them and it was way too bright for me. Maybe on a Gibson with a rosewood or ebony fretboard, it would still sound ok?
I just got my LP back, it's been refretted with Nickel Jescar FW57110 . I absolutely love them. Perfect intonation all over the neck which is something I was concerned about. The crown is pretty thin so I guess that explains it . They are not as big as I thought they would be to be honest. Just the perfect size for the 22 frets on my LP.. I had them taken down to 0.53" though. higher than than is a bit too high for my taste.

I do not like SS frets either. The sound has some short of metalic quality to it that I'm not crazy about, plus they sound too a bit dull IMO. They sound great with high gain but, IMHO they lack something when played clean. if I had more guitars I will have one with SS frets but as I only have 1 right now, I think nickle frets are a better idea. Even dough aldrich who uses SS frets says he prefers nickel frets tone-wise.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I just did the same thing on one of my MIJ guitars. The frets on it were just a tad smaller than the Jescar jumbo but wider than the medium jumbo I normally use. I went with the jumbo because you never know if there is a little bit of ugliness under the old frets that might show if you go to smaller wire. I'm happy with how it came out.

NotScott

Reaction score
I had two of my guitars just recently refretted with the SS version of the 57110. I LOVE them. I bend a lot so they give me the extra heft I need to control things better and they polish up like glass and feel great under my fingers. They may be a hair brighter than NS frets but the feel far outweighs that minor change to me.

Repo251

Reaction score
Just got my old 73 SG refretted with the jescar.. amazing feel... so fast and precise after years with fret less wonders... 5FB440E0-E59F-4AA6-9CD9-C0EC5ECC8C08.jpeg
5FB440E0-E59F-4AA6-9CD9-C0EC5ECC8C08.jpeg

rodrigopalla

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just sent my Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013 to change its frets, the original ones were very used with some marks and the playing was not very nice, I ended up with the Jescar 51108-S the only one available at the moment on the luthier store.

I was looking for bigger and wider frets, like medium jumbo.. I think I made the right decision, I am kind of concerned but I believe it will be better than before. It will improve my guitar, I play more like zakk wylde style,ozzy osbourne stuffs, etc and looking forward to play easy bends, fast licks.. things that I couldn´t because old frets low, and finger touching the wood neck.

I will post a feedback here once I receive the guitar back!
Do you have any expercience on Jescar 51108-S with your Les Paul? Please share with me, thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Latest Threads