Refret: With Or Without Nibs?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
I recently had my Classic's frets dressed, re-crowned and polished up. They have received enough wear already so that in a couple of years or so, I will probably have to re-do that work. Or, I could elect to go straight in a complete re-fret. I know that the nibs at the fret ends of Les Pauls look really neat, but are they really needed?

How many of you would elect to do a complete re-fret and have the nibs left off so that more fret area would be possible?

Classicplayer

River

Reaction score
I prefer properly-finished fret ends to nibs.

Which is one reason I'll likely never buy another Gibson.

Is my position clear?

Zenzeypher

Reaction score
do what you think is best, if you want nibs and it's worth the extra $$$ get the nibs...if not don't :D

omfug4life

Reaction score
I just had a refret and lost the nibs. I don't care one bit. It plays great and hat's hat matters.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
I prefer properly-finished fret ends to nibs.

Which is one reason I'll likely never buy another Gibson.

Is my position clear?

Unless you buy a used re-fretted Gibson with properly-finished fret ends...
Could that work?
:cool:

Stonesy

Reaction score
knights_who_say_ni-full-1-2.jpg

michaelinokc

Reaction score
It's not like nibs are going to increase the value of your guitar after a refret. Use the money you save for a couple of pedals or something else useful.

dspelman

Reaction score
How many of you would elect to do a complete re-fret and have the nibs left off so that more fret area would be possible?

Depenz. I have three guitars worth silly money (they were $75 each when I bought them used years ago). If I played them and if they needed a complete re-fret, I'd have to do them with nibs. Not a decision I'll ever have to make.

Your Classic isn't worth that money and never will be. If it were mine, I'd absolutely redo it without nibs without a second thought.

roodyrocker

Reaction score
Since you say in a couple years it will either need another fret redress or refret, I would redress the frets regardless of nibs or not. Why would you want to refret it in a couple years if dressing the existing frets will work? :hmm:

Rudy

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Since you say in a couple years it will either need another fret redress or refret, I would redress the frets regardless of nibs or not. Why would you want to refret it in a couple years if dressing the existing frets will work? :hmm:

Rudy

I've been told that you can get a couple of fret dressings done, but I'm not a fan of really low frets. When they get to the worn point again, I think I will spend the extra money and get new frets. I'm undecided though as to whether I'd get stock frets or go up one size.

Classicplayer

rich85

Reaction score
I dont hate nibs but I dont like them either, I just ignore them completely.

GibsonMarshallGuy

Reaction score
How often do you play, and how old is the guitar? It takes many many years to wear out frets to the point of needing new ones?? Unless its a Rickenbacker...

Classicplayer

Reaction score
How often do you play, and how old is the guitar? It takes many many years to wear out frets to the point of needing new ones?? Unless its a Rickenbacker...

Next month my Classic will turn 12 years old. I got 11+ years with the originals and this past summer I had them dressed, re-crowned and polished.
My tech said there was enough left to it perhaps once more next time around.
I rotate this guitar with a Hamer and my Les Paul Studio Deluxe and I don't play out anymore, so my Classic is not played continually.

Classicplayer

splatter

Reaction score
I've played gibsons for a looong time but I don't know what a nib is . can someone enlighten me please

formula73

Reaction score
They also call it 'fret edge binding' and 'binding over frets'. 'Nibs' are the individual sections of binding that are at the end of the frets.

I prefer a plain ol refret and if the board's wide enough to keep from pulling the strings off, roll the SHIT out of the binding.

martin H

Reaction score
One factor to consider is that presering the nibbs in a re-fret is quite difficult and will cost a good deal more. There are only two ways to do it:

[1] cut each fret to a very exact length so it fits beween the nibs on each side of the neck with no gaps ( otherwise crap collects in the gap between the fret end and the nib, and can cause problems. Or;

[2] redo the neck binding at the same time the frets are replaced.

Also, consoder that, If the frets have been dressed a couple of times, then may have been reduced in height and the nibs reduced with them. New frets might be taller than the nibs, requiring a binding replacement

When I had my '72 LP refretted I got rid of the nibs. Although they look nice, I find it better to have a fret extending all the way to the edge

martin H

Reaction score

Nahh - I've got a '67 Rick 360 that's still got plenty of fret left...

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One factor to consider is that presering the nibbs in a re-fret is quite difficult and will cost a good deal more. There are only two ways to do it:

[1] cut each fret to a very exact length so it fits beween the nibs on each side of the neck with no gaps ( otherwise crap collects in the gap between the fret end and the nib, and can cause problems. Or;

[2] redo the neck binding at the same time the frets are replaced.

Also, consoder that, If the frets have been dressed a couple of times, then may have been reduced in height and the nibs reduced with them. New frets might be taller than the nibs, requiring a binding replacement

When I had my '72 LP refretted I got rid of the nibs. Although they look nice, I find it better to have a fret extending all the way to the edge

There is another method. You can remove the existing binding with the nibs intact, which is painfully labor (and skill) intensive. Then, refret and finsih. Following that, reapply the original binding with its nibs.

IMO, that is the only way to do it. And, there are only a handful of luthiers with the skill and time to perform this procedure. I happen to know one of them.

We discussed that option during my refret. To me it was not worth the significant cost difference. If I was refretting a real '59 (or similar vintage type) - I would have it done, without hesitation. On anything less, nope!

Latest Threads