'Refinned' Gold Tops....

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have often wondered this: Since the 'Gold Top' models of the '50s were painted over maple tops, was the wood used in these guitars of the 'plain' variety, or was it 'flamey'? Was any consideration even given at that time to the degree of 'flame'? Was 'flame' considered 'pretty' in the '50s, or was a nice, smooth, even, straight grain considered more important for the guitars with transparent or sunburst finishes of the day?
I have read of countless examples of 'Gold Tops' being refinished in sunburst or transparent colors having SPECTACULAR flame on the previously painted-over wood.
Any photos out there of 'refinned' Gold Tops?

loaded six string

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here is a pic that I took off of a thread. Someone had a old GT that they stripped down to the wood and found this beautiful one piece flame.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I answered this in the other thread too.

I think most times someone strips an old gold top to burst it, they are disappointed. 3 piece tops were common, rarely did they bother to center seam. If a piece had flame, they didn't bother to match the other piece, since they were solid color finishing anyway.

I've seen some examples of R7's with great flame under them though. So anything really is possible.

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
here's an example of IMO more likely to be under there, from an Ebay auction

5be8_3.JPG

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
C'mon Fish, comparing your Mirabella to almost anything out there is raising unfair expectations.

docadillac

Reaction score
I answered this in the other thread too.

I think most times someone strips an old gold top to burst it, they are disappointed. 3 piece tops were common, rarely did they bother to center seam. If a piece had flame, they didn't bother to match the other piece, since they were solid color finishing anyway.

I've seen some examples of R7's with great flame under them though. So anything really is possible.

I think this is true.i don't think flamed maple was even given a thought at the original time of production, after all it was going to be painted.

masta_191

Reaction score
WOW thats the first ever one peice maple top ive ever seen like a AAA grade mabey

+1

Latest Threads