Refinishing a USA Gibson Special

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
well, i think daves point is that if there will be clear coats to follow, 600 will work faster and give the leveling you want, and the subsequent clear will cover the 600. only start with 1000 after final clear is laid. i think i understand that right. that's good info, as i have been wasting a lot of time sanding. this thread has loads of good info. i've never used sealer before, but have been building with lacquer after sealing with egg white. will order sealer for next builds.
This is what I'm saying. No more spraying after the 1000. Spray the final coats, wait a while, THEN start with the 1000 WET.

no more spraying after 1000.

Thanks Bobby..

BrianH

Reaction score
3CA6A063-7A84-40C1-8A23-F298DCC8C469.jpeg

Last coat and I went too heavy on the headstock side. It feels and looks rough. It was cloudy at first but I don’t think it was blushing. Should I wait to tomorrow and sand and give that side a mist coat? or just wait the 2-4 weeks and sand then?

BrianH

Reaction score
I waited a few hours, sanded, and hit with more clear. Seems ok.
9E119D61-4A1F-4EE7-95DA-1D7A6BE2AAF5.jpeg

BrianH

Reaction score
A050BD40-F94F-4153-98E9-D68DBB969ACF.jpeg

And now for a month long hang.

Attachments

• 82FED486-E8BF-4058-B33A-14308F4C49CB.jpeg
    82FED486-E8BF-4058-B33A-14308F4C49CB.jpeg
    106.3 KB · Views: 9

cmjohnson

Reaction score
Looking good! I like how this is turning out. The color looks good.

When sanding down the clear on the face of the headstock, sometimes I cheat and use a brand new single edged razor blade as a scraper and start by scraping the paint flat before I switch to a hard sanding block and fine paper. It's very effective for getting down to that last stroke that eliminates the last shiny spot. (Low spot) And it leave a flat surface. Alternate directions when scraping, some north-south, others east-west, to avoid developing any ridges or non-flat spots.

This works pretty well on any surface that's flat in at least one direction. It isn't much use when sanding a belly carve but it can be used for the back, sides, headstock surfaces, and even the neck shaft where it has no added curves in the third dimension.

fatdaddypreacher

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
^^^i have done this on the backs also. works like a charm if basic pre finish leveling and sanding is done properly. saves a lot of time and paper.

greens

Reaction score
Nice work! With some creme plastics it would very much have the vibe of those 2017 limited run custom shop models they did

gibson-les-paul-special-2017-limited-run-matching-headstock-front-body.jpg

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Won't be long, Brian that you'll be ready to wet-sand that.

Remember what we said... stay off the corners.

Starting out with the finest grit you can manage to sand with will result in less scratches to get out with finer grits.

BrianH

Reaction score
It’s been two full weeks and it has no nitro smell. Checking a finger indentation inside the pickup cavity leaves no mark, it seems hard as glass. Do you think I’m good to start wet sanding or should I wait a bit longer? It’s been in a room with a window air conditioner on to keep air circulating and probably At around 74 degrees I would guess. Gonna start with 1000 grit per your recommendation. I’m getting antsy but don’t want to rush it.

Waiting on a silkscreen from 8bomb (I caved in and bought it, the Special front looks awesome) and have to get some Wolfetone pups. Otherwise it’s nearly ready to go.

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It’s been two full weeks and it has no nitro smell. Checking a finger indentation inside the pickup cavity leaves no mark, it seems hard as glass. Do you think I’m good to start wet sanding or should I wait a bit longer? It’s been in a room with a window air conditioner on to keep air circulating and probably At around 74 degrees I would guess. Gonna start with 1000 grit per your recommendation. I’m getting antsy but don’t want to rush it.

Waiting on a silkscreen from 8bomb (I caved in and bought it, the Special front looks awesome) and have to get some Wolfetone pups. Otherwise it’s nearly ready to go.

I think You're ready for wet sanding in one week .

LtDave32

I'm walkin' on sunshine
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Give it a total of three weeks, just to be on the safe side, is what I meant.

BrianH

Reaction score
1 more week it is, thank you Dave! I'm getting impatient but still need to order some new pickups anyhow.

LeeB

Reaction score
I missed out on a used studio the other week (worn brown.... That was worn!) with a mind to do the same thing. Fantastic to see your progress and best wishes for a great end result. You could put any pickguard with that.... Of try to find a pearloid one myself. Replacing with new p90s?

BrianH

Reaction score
I missed out on a used studio the other week (worn brown.... That was worn!) with a mind to do the same thing. Fantastic to see your progress and best wishes for a great end result. You could put any pickguard with that.... Of try to find a pearloid one myself. Replacing with new p90s?
Sorry but maybe another will come your way! This has been a lot of work and a weird mix of stress and fun. Next one will be less stressful I think. I’m tempted to refin my Junior now but it’s such a great guitar as-is I’m hesitant. I do have an ‘82 Greco LP with thick poly finish but stripping poly.... ughhh.

This Special will get Kluson tuners (3x3 with conversion bushings), VIPots, Wolfetone mean/meaner combo. Mojoaxe truss rod cover, Jack plate, and tailpiece when I can afford those.

I sprung for an 8bomb LP Special silk screen as well. He sent me a pic and it’s the most accurate looking font I’ve seen. He makes nice screens, though they are $$$.

Duane.S

Reaction score
I have been reading through this thread just sucking up all these great tips on finishing. Threads like this is the reason I joined this forum. Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Latest Threads