Votes: 4 30.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 69.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mockbel

Reaction score
Hi guys

Last year I managed to get a 1995 Mexican Strat from a friend at a low price (from Egypt market perspective)... it is black with white pickguard (as in pic) and I am thinking about turning it into white.. I always like white strats with rosewood fretboard... does it worth??

00F6AD4D-B567-4009-A700-15917EA343DB.jpeg

fett

Reaction score
Why not? Do you know somebody who paints cars?

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Premium Member
Reaction score
does it worth??

Worth is a subjective term... English is not your native language I don't think so I'll explain it this way...

Worth is subject to interpretation as to each person's opinion. YOU may think one of mine is worth $500 but I think it is priceless and somebody else may think it is worthless to them. All are subjectively correct but totally possibly incorrect according to market price.

Financial 'worth' of any of my guitars does not enter my mind as I rarely sell anything.

Each of my guitars are priceless.... TO ME.....even my cheapest priced guitar, 1980 Ibanez Blazer Strat, is priceless. One may possibly purchase one for 250.00 or so, but not mine for $1000...

Soooo, if you love how your MiM plays but want white to be happy, then it will be worth it. I never look at $$$ return on my personal instruments. I have a couple MiMs that ain't for sale at any price. Not worth a bunch of money to somebody else though. Don't care, they play and sound that good to me.

If you want white to be happy, make it white. That being said, you could keep watch for a white MiM Strat body. Pull the neck, pull the pick guard, slap em on the white body. Done. You have a spare black body and you can watch for a MiM neck, loaded pick guard, and you would have TWO Strats cheap...

All kinds of options out there to get you where you want to be. Do your internet searching/reading before you jump on one solution... You just may run up on what you want during the process and not have to change this one. Opportunities always show themselves if you are paying enough attention to notice them...

edro.

pmonk

Reaction score
White body with mint green pickguard

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I’d say yes if you were gonna do it for fun. I restored a Yamaha Pacifica for fun and learning. It’s a bit of a dog, but plays great for what is is.

I may also be biased because in this part of the world, I believe I could buy a used MIM white Strat for the cost of a restoration....maybe even less?

hbucker

Reaction score
Depends on how you paint it. Do it right, and you could have something pretty cool. Do it wrong and it would look like a cheaply painted guitar.

I'd suggest sanding down the old finish (which is probably pretty thick and hard). Priming it. Then painting it with all the requisite sanding, rubbing and polishing that would be required. Just rattle-canning white over the existing finish would probably not yield the results you want.

You will not increase the value of the guitar. But done well, you probably wouldn't reduce the value much either. If you don't know what you're doing, then hire someone who does.

Good luck!

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I’d say yes if you were gonna do it for fun. I restored a Yamaha Pacifica for fun and learning. It’s a bit of a dog, but plays great for what is is.

I may also be biased because in this part of the world, I believe I could buy a used MIM white Strat for the cost of a restoration....maybe even less?
True but for fun why not or if the guitar is special to you sure otherwise MIMS are affordable and there is plenty of them.

rabidhamster

Reaction score
It wouldn’t be worth it to me at all, but I see how hard it is for you to get instruments there.

If you did it who would do the stripping and painting?

Mockbel

Reaction score
It wouldn’t be worth it to me at all, but I see how hard it is for you to get instruments there.

If you did it who would do the stripping and painting?
We have few luthiers and guitar techs here.. they don’t “build” complete guitars but they do all kind of repair and mods including refinish. However, my tech says he only uses wipe on poly or oil finishes and he is not into laquer, nitro, or poly :dunno:

rabidhamster

Reaction score
We have few luthiers and guitar techs here.. they don’t “build” complete guitars but they do all kind of repair and mods including refinish. However, my tech says he only uses wipe on poly or oil finishes and he is not into laquer, nitro, or poly :dunno:
I was afraid of that, it can be difficult to find someone to do, even in the US most people would probably have to mail the body out to get done what we talk about here on the forums.

Now in the US you’d probably save easily $300 to sell that body and buy a white MIM body to replace it. If you can find a body available to you, that is.

filtersweep

Reaction score
A proper refinish would cost more than the body is worth--- and more than finding the color you actually want.

A cheap refinish-- like a rattle can job--- will look like shite.

joff

Reaction score
Sell it and buy a nice white one with a lovely dark board...job done.

You will sell your guitar much easier and for a much better price if it is the original colour.

Burny FLG

Reaction score
Hi guys

Last year I managed to get a 1995 Mexican Strat from a friend at a low price (from Egypt market perspective)... it is black with white pickguard (as in pic) and I am thinking about turning it into white.. I always like white strats with rosewood fretboard... does it worth??

View attachment 480906
Sure. White guitars are awesome!

redcoats1976

Reaction score
trade it for a white one,get a tortise pickguard,job done.i stupidly traded a white MIM strat with a tortise guard at a guitar show,but since i bought it new for $249 and got that amount put towards the trade i didnt do badly.but it was a hell of a nice guitar...

Steven

Reaction score
No, definitely not <unless you are willing to pay the high expense of having it done professionally>

strayedstrater

Reaction score
Fender has been spraying nitro over poly basecoats for 45 years. Rattlecan do it yourself jobs can give professional results, if you're willing to research and put a lot of labor into sanding and buffing.

Lots of people at the reranch forum have had great results using an existing poly finish as a basecoat. MIM polyester is incredibly thick -- a few thin layers of nitro primer, color coat and clear won't change the tone at all.

Google "refinishing a guitar", or a phrase similar to that. You'll find plenty of tutorials.

If you live in an apartment you may not be able to do it due to fumes. After seeing what's involved, you may decide you don't want to try it.

Some people are afraid of removing a Fender neck. Some people are even afraid of adjusting truss rods. That's fine, we all have limits. I'm comfortable dressing fret ends and understand how to level and crown frets, but I don't have the nerve to ever grind the tops of frets.

In my part of the world, it's not uncommon for people to refinish to get a color that's not easily available, and there are so many white Strat bodies that no one would ever bother spraying a black Strat white.

But if white Strats are exotic in Egypt, spraying it white is feasible and rational. $150 or so in spray cans and sanding/polishing supplies, a few weeks of drying time, and many hours of spraying, sanding, buffing.
----------------------
If you can disassemble your Strat, fill any dents, scuff sand it so it's paint ready, any shop that sprays cars/motorcycles could spray white poly on.

Again, the existing finish is crazy thick and another layer doesn't matter.

Latest Threads