Refin 1955 Gibson Les Paul - To Do It or Not?

To do it or not?

• Let it be

Votes: 61 67.0%
  • Goldtop

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Burst

Votes: 6 6.6%

• Total voters

judson

Reaction score
just stripped a wine studio and painted it black with faux binding...i am super happy with it as a player as i had another wine i stripped and tried to give it a somewhat dirty honey look, love that one too.

your black looks great, play it until you tire of the black...then chose the gold or burst or anything

the great thing is you can do whatever you think YOU will like and there is no wrong answer....the original finish left along time ago

there is an amazing goldie relic here at MLP that a member owns i would suggest in a heartbeat if you had to do one or the other...here it is...this is a beauty

the great thing if you did something like this it fits the year perfect...but really its just friggin amazing...to me at least

do this when you tire of the black........NEVER have i seen a better looking relic

thanks mrfett, hope its ok to post this

Last edited:

Danelectro

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My vote is to leave it as is. Considering where this guitar started, I think you did a beautiful job.

If you want to make it “appear” to be original, then you would need to plug the humbucker routs, re-rout it for P90's, and go with an all-gold finish that hides the jack and binding repairs. On the other hand, no matter how much effort you put into trying to make it look original, this guitar can never again be all-original, so accept it for what it is.

Personally, I favor humbuckers vs P90s, as well as a wraparound to an ABR, so in its current state, it would be the perfect combo for my tastes. The last thing on Earth I would do is burst it because the patchwork of repairs is going to stand like a sore thumb. The only way the guitar would look good with a 'burst finish would be from 30+ feet away.

Last edited:

vmasterlee

Reaction score
Hey!
Wanna sell it as a Black top the way it is?
Best,
Lee
917-244-6266 NYC

Gradium5

Reaction score
I voted Gold but I love the Black Top, looks fantastic! The real beauty is now you can do whatever you want. Keep it as is or return to original someday.

Jumping@shadows

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
While the OP’s top is not as figure/attract as my ‘60 Les Paul, I’m certain the exposed plug and binding restoration could be made very acceptable, even at close range- mine has exactly the same challenges and you’d not even notice there was a middle pickup imho..

Last edited:

NINFNM

Reaction score
I don't like goldtops, but neither I like natural backs, even less in combination with solid tops.
That top can't be shown, it's a mess, so I would refin the back and the neck in black.

Xrun Morzov

Reaction score
Just sell the blacktop to me. Cheap of course, as you don't like it)))

Seriously, it looks GREAT. I remember seeing this one around on the forum and alwayus thought that I lke it A LOT!

strömsborg

Reaction score
I would normally say keep it as is or restore it as close as possible to factory specs and to never do any further mods to a vintage guitar, but in this particular case it doesn't matter.
It's already routed för HB's and with a new piece of maple between the pickups and the pickguard hiding the rest of the mess it could be a passable burst without taking away the possibility of a proper restoration in the future.

d1m1

Reaction score
While the OP’s top is not as figure/attract as my ‘60 Les Paul, I’m certain the exposed plug and binding restoration could be made very acceptable, even at close range- mine has exactly the same challenges and you’d not even notice there was a middle pickup imho..

Awesome job!!!

digbob

Reaction score
I love this guitar. It's the best sounding Burst I have ever had the pleasure to play, despite its cometic shortcomings.
A great sounding and looking Burst.
Hi Yeti, the Owner of the Guitar wants me to tell you that you please remove his Name from this posting and please not to use it again, he wants to be private, thanks a lot

Last edited:

Norton

Reaction score
I would just play it as is. I mean the guitar deserves to be PLAYED.

If you want a perpetual project get a 2015 or some recent Les Paul and go to town.

amused

Reaction score
just stripped a wine studio and painted it black with faux binding...i am super happy with it as a player as i had another wine i stripped and tried to give it a somewhat dirty honey look, love that one too.

your black looks great, play it until you tire of the black...then chose the gold or burst or anything

the great thing is you can do whatever you think YOU will like and there is no wrong answer....the original finish left along time ago

there is an amazing goldie relic here at MLP that a member owns i would suggest in a heartbeat if you had to do one or the other...here it is...this is a beauty

the great thing if you did something like this it fits the year perfect...but really its just friggin amazing...to me at least

do this when you tire of the black........NEVER have i seen a better looking relic

thanks mrfett, hope its ok to post this

Nice relic job and nice goldtop finish... do you know who did this one?

Thanks for sharing !!!

Pesh

Reaction score
Keep it as the blacktop - you've got something unique there and it looks killer!

DaveSG

Reaction score
The way you speak about this guitar and they changes you want to make, remind me of when I really, really want to do something and I'm hoping others will think it is a good idea.

It's your guitar, so if you want to take on the challenge of turning it into a burst, then I can understand the desire for that challenge, and to have all the desirable things you want all wrapped up in one guitar.

Right now, my easiest playing guitar is one guitar, my best/favorite looking guitar is another guitar, and my best sounding guitar is a different one. Fortunately, my best sounding one is also pretty easy playing and ALSO the best feeling one, neck-wise. So I accept their differences and find joy in all of it.

I will also say that I've talked about your guitar on other forums when telling people about the coolest black LP I've ever seen in my life. The black top, the tarnished covers, the natural back, the wraparound...it's a dynamite package.

LocoTex

Reaction score
I like the blacktop. If you just gotta change it, go goldtop.