Redemption....NAD '79 JMP 2204

mdubya

Reaction score
Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Jimi, Iommi, Rory Gallagher, Neil Young, Gilmour, Mick Ronson, SRV, etc - not old school. :lol::dude:

Deftone

Reaction score
Jimmy Page, Jeff Beck, Jimi, Iommi, Rory Gallagher, Neil Young, Gilmour, Mick Ronson, SRV, etc - not old school. :lol::dude:
DS-1 came out in '78, the head is a '79, so.....? I get it though, some people like to plug straight in. It's all good.

I have always used a distortion pedal. My 1st real tube amp was a blackface Champ and it needed a pedal. I think this was the 1st one I ever had:

iu
It was terrible.

Been looking a lot at the DS-1, including the Keeley mod version. I think I like the standard non modded one best. Might look for '80's vintage. Probably look into a RAT next. I had one I had bought new in the late 80's but sold it. Another gear regret.

Also, I've been running my JMP through my 1960 Vintage A cab with V30's. Sounds incredible but (I may have already said this) I might try swapping two V30's out for two G12H30-Anniversary's. I love that combo.

@mdubya what speakers/cab are you running your JMP through?

mdubya

Reaction score
DS-1 came out in '78, the head is a '79, so.....? I get it though, some people like to plug straight in. It's all good.

I have always used a distortion pedal. My 1st real tube amp was a blackface Champ and it needed a pedal. I think this was the 1st one I ever had:

iu
It was terrible.

Been looking a lot at the DS-1, including the Keeley mod version. I think I like the standard non modded one best. Might look for '80's vintage. Probably look into a RAT next. I had one I had bought new in the late 80's but sold it. Another gear regret.

Also, I've been running my JMP through my 1960 Vintage A cab with V30's. Sounds incredible but (I may have already said this) I might try swapping two V30's out for two G12H30-Anniversary's. I love that combo.

@mdubya what speakers/cab are you running your JMP through?

My cabinet is a JCM800 1936 2x12 with a pair of greyback G12M Pulsonics. I have a couple of 90s G12M reissue greenbacks also that get swapped in and out as maintenance is required.

I never liked V30s myself, but for some, that is the exact tone they are looking for.

As mentioned earlier, mine is a first year (1976), non-cascading model (quite different from all the subsequent 2204s - most much prefer the cascading ones). It sounds great on its own, but it comes to life with a classic fuzz, tubescreamer, or some type of vintage style drive pedal. It has also been converted to EL34s many years ago (just required a couple of resistors changed).

I've had my 2204 in the same room with a real 100 watt plexi, a 100 watt metal panel, and the most glorious sounding JTM 50 clone. I was considering commissioning a JTM 50 clone for myself, but realized I already had a capable classic rock tone machine. Any improvements would have been negligible.

Deftone

Reaction score
My cabinet is a JCM800 1936 2x12 with a pair of greyback G12M Pulsonics. I have a couple of 90s G12M reissue greenbacks also that get swapped in and out as maintenance is required.

I never liked V30s myself, but for some, that is the exact tone they are looking for.

As mentioned earlier, mine is a first year (1976), non-cascading model (quite different from all the subsequent 2204s - most much prefer the cascading ones). It sounds great on its own, but it comes to life with a classic fuzz, tubescreamer, or some type of vintage style drive pedal. It has also been converted to EL34s many years ago (just required a couple of resistors changed).

I've had my 2204 in the same room with a real 100 watt plexi, a 100 watt metal panel, and the most glorious sounding JTM 50 clone. I was considering commissioning a JTM 50 clone for myself, but realized I already had a capable classic rock tone machine. Any improvements would have been negligible.
Those speakers are in another league. A couple years ago I hesitated on a '70's (maybe early 80's) 1960 A cab with black backs...$450. Kicking myself now.

V30's are preffered by the 90's + Metal Heads. I didn't like them much with my JCM800 2204 but I like them with other amps and paired with other speakers. They have their place, IMHO.

????????????????????????
never walk on broken heels, matey?

New Wave Of British Heavy Metal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_wave_of_British_heavy_metal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_new_wave_of_British_heavy_metal_bands

Deftone

Reaction score
I ran my Charvel though the JMP: Guitar > MXR 6 EQ > Metal Muff > MXR 10 EQ > Digital Delay > BBE Sonic Maxmizer > input. Tweak the amp EQ a bit and it's '90's metal like a JCM900, to my ears.

I think a EFX loop would be nice in this amp, but I would never mess with the architecture that makes it what it is. Maybe that's where Marshall kind of drifted....more features and more gain but they lost the core tone.

My Mesa Solo 50 has been my #1 (or maybe my SL-X) as I like the darker, more modern 5881/6L6 tone as opposed to the 70's/80's 6550 tone, but the way the JMP delivers tone is 2nd to nothing. And I think with an EQ you can pretty much get all these tones out of the JMP.

mdubya

Reaction score
Forgive me. I don't think you should necessarily buy this, but....

o_O

Deftone

Reaction score
Forgive me. I don't think you should necessarily buy this, but....

o_O
ok, I snagged one for $125. MIJ 1983.

https://reverb.com/item/58253109-boss-ds1-1983-orange

Deftone

Reaction score
I am very interested to hear your thoughts.

My buddy had an Epi Valve Junior and we got him an old DS-1 for like $30. They sounded amazing together. Really good.
I'll let you know when I get it.

Sheryl Crow's guitarist and 65 Amps co founder Peter Stroud checked in over on the Marshall Forum. He uses a pair of SV20H heads on tour. I asked him about the other amps in his collection: "As you do, I have a '79 2204 MV that's one of my fav's. Prime time for that model."

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/a-shoutout-to-sv20s.128228/

https://www.vintageguitar.com/28412/peter-stroud/

Deftone

Reaction score
Another cleaning update....I removed more of the paint from the piping and I replaced the missing corner. I was able to re-use the old rivets.

IMG_2814a.JPG

I think I am done collecting amps.

Latest Threads