Redemption....NAD '79 JMP 2204

Deftone

Reaction score
Try running the line out from your Lead 12 into it. Or try a DS-1. :dude:
I've been wanting to try a DS-1. Was just looking at them. Love that damn Metal Muff tho....

I'll have to ceck if my Lead 12 still has a Line out...I had gutted it 10 years ago and had a 5w tube amp built in it.

mdubya

Reaction score
I've been wanting to try a DS-1. Was just looking at them. Love that damn Metal Muff tho....

I'll have to ceck if my Lead 12 still has a Line out...I had gutted it 10 years ago and had a 5w tube amp built in it.

I hadn't run the line out of the Lead 12 into the 2204 for years. I had to try it (just now) to see (hear) if it was how I used to remember it. Yup. :dude:

My 2204 is a first year without cascading preamp gain. The Lead 12 gives it a tight crunch while preserving the overall loose saggy old school Marshall character that makes the JMP 2204 so awesome.

I used the Lead 12 and the DS-1 because that is what I had laying around in the early 90's. I thought it replicated an EVH brown tone very well.

I am sure the Metal Muff sounds glorious.

I much preferrred the depth and the loose/tight nature of crunch I could get out of my JMP 2204 to the tight modern (for the 80s/90s) crunch of my JCM 800 2205.

I think you have both, now, right?

Most players preferred the tone of my 2204 but preferred to play through the 2205.

Deftone

Reaction score
I hadn't run the line out of the Lead 12 into the 2204 for years. I had to try it (just now) to see (hear) if it was how I used to remember it. Yup. :dude:

My 2204 is a first year without cascading preamp gain. The Lead 12 gives it a tight crunch while preserving the overall loose saggy old school Marshall character that makes the JMP 2204 so awesome.

I used the Lead 12 and the DS-1 because that is what I had laying around in the early 90's. I thought it replicated an EVH brown tone very well.

I much preferrred the depth and the loose/tight nature of crunch I could get out of my JMP 2204 to the tight modern (for the 80s/90s) crunch of my JCM 800 2205.

Most players preferred the tone of my 2204 but preferred to play through the 2205.
yea...I have the JMP 2204, a JCM800 2204 & 2205 as well as a JMP900 2500 SL-X and a 4500. That's probably enough now.

Did I mention the 3203? lol.

JMP

Reaction score
I’ve been using a DS-1 into my JCM 900. I use the clean channel, set it up crunchy, and have the DS-1 into the front of the amp. It’s a killer tone in my opinion….easy to get lost in the chunky riffage.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I have an '84 100w. very early horizontal input model, still has the filtering of the vertical input amps, it's almost the same internally as the early jcms. it's pretty much my favorite marshall that i've laid hands on. still kicking myself for passing up an equally good deal on a '70 small box but if i'm being honest with myself i kinda like having a master volume.

when you know how to work the eq on those things there are a lot of tones in there, running the mid back and turning the bass, treble, and presence up gives you a thick yet steely tone that's great for metal with the gain dimed. turning up the mid high and things get a lot more bluesy and this is where you can coax out some superlead-like tones while fiddling the rest of the knobs. i absolutely love these amps, they're just hard to control in terms of volume, it comes on very fast. honestly this thing offers up better tones at bedroom volume than most amps do but it's hard to actually keep it in that low volume area because the master just wants to GO. at 1.5 this thing will get that feeling of moving air going. and that's through a beaten old pair of t75s. a more efficient cab would be brutal.

Deftone

Reaction score

Do you think the Waza SD-1 is worth the extra $?

I have an '84 100w. very early horizontal input model, still has the filtering of the vertical input amps, it's almost the same internally as the early jcms. it's pretty much my favorite marshall that i've laid hands on. still kicking myself for passing up an equally good deal on a '70 small box but if i'm being honest with myself i kinda like having a master volume.

when you know how to work the eq on those things there are a lot of tones in there, running the mid back and turning the bass, treble, and presence up gives you a thick yet steely tone that's great for metal with the gain dimed. turning up the mid high and things get a lot more bluesy and this is where you can coax out some superlead-like tones while fiddling the rest of the knobs. i absolutely love these amps, they're just hard to control in terms of volume, it comes on very fast. honestly this thing offers up better tones at bedroom volume than most amps do but it's hard to actually keep it in that low volume area because the master just wants to GO. at 1.5 this thing will get that feeling of moving air going. and that's through a beaten old pair of t75s. a more efficient cab would be brutal.
Tried diming the master and using the pre amp vol...wow. Good stuff. I also tried try the EQ settings as well, all good. That said, I have presence and all the EQ on 5, pre amp on 6-7 Master on 2 and I just get lost. Also ran it in stereo with my Mesa Solo Rec today...incredible.

I lusted after this amp for so long and always talked myself out of it. I am really glad I decided to pull the trigger and get one.

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Tried diming the master and using the pre amp vol...wow. Good stuff. I also tried try the EQ settings as well, all good. That said, I have presence and all the EQ on 5, pre amp on 6-7 Master on 2 and I just get lost. Also ran it in stereo with my Mesa Solo Rec today...incredible.

I lusted after this amp for so long and always talked myself out of it. I am really glad I decided to pull the trigger and get one.
Diming the master and using the preamp volume to control things is my preferred way of running this amp, but it's hard to find a setting where I can get away with it

Re: the comment about getting lost... I have a hard time finding a base tone with this amp because it's got so many tones in it. Honestly most of the recorded sounds from these things are on the pokier end of the spectrum, seems like guys embraced the bright nature of these things rather than trying to tame them like bedroom players often do

mdubya

Reaction score

SD-1 and DS-1 are differenty pedals, I think.

And current DS-1s are not the same as the old ones.

I would look for the oldest one at the best price. :lol:

The originals probably aren't worth what they are going for IMHO.

For me, Distortion and Tone set at less than noon and volume dialed to unity or above was a great way to replicate NWOBHM tones. The solid state distortion did a nice job of tightening things up with the amp giving that loose feel that makes these JMP amps so glorious.

Any old school distortion should work for those retro tones.

I would have to play a Waza to hear for myself.

Unfortunately, my old DS-1 is long gone.

gitmohair

Reaction score
What/whose sound is it you're after? Real "old school" doesn't come from pedals IMHO, but then I may be well older than you and our perceptions will therefore vary some :)

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That amp is next one on my list. Congrats on scoring what looks a good one.

Deftone

Reaction score
SD-1 and DS-1 are differenty pedals, I think.

And current DS-1s are not the same as the old ones.

I would look for the oldest one at the best price. :lol:

The originals probably aren't worth what they are going for IMHO.

For me, Distortion and Tone set at less than noon and volume dialed to unity or above was a great way to replicate NWOBHM tones. The solid state distortion did a nice job of tightening things up with the amp giving that loose feel that makes these JMP amps so glorious.

Any old school distortion should work for those retro tones.

I would have to play a Waza to hear for myself.

Unfortunately, my old DS-1 is long gone.
Gotcha...yea I mixed them up. Thanks!
Re: the comment about getting lost...
When I say I get "lost" what I mean is...I lose track of time....I'm lost in some sort of sonic nirvana...lost in the zone.

What/whose sound is it you're after? Real "old school" doesn't come from pedals IMHO, but then I may be well older than you and our perceptions will therefore vary some :)
Bro....the BOSS DS-1 came out in '78....that was 44 years ago...if that's not "old school" enough for you....I got nuthin' :laugh2:

gitmohair

Reaction score
Bro....the BOSS DS-1 came out in '78....that was 44 years ago...if that's not "old school" enough for you....I got nuthin

I guess you got nuthin dude :) Hey, whatever works, just make music :)

Drew224

"Obvious BS Artist"
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gotcha...yea I mixed them up. Thanks!

When I say I get "lost" what I mean is...I lose track of time....I'm lost in some sort of sonic nirvana...lost in the zone.

Bro....the BOSS DS-1 came out in '78....that was 44 years ago...if that's not "old school" enough for you....I got nuthin' :laugh2:

"Real old school doesn't come from pedals" tell that to Jimi Hendrix. That man had hand tone for days, didn't matter what was on the floor in front of him or if it was turned on or not. He was gonna play the strings off that guitar.

Latest Threads